Inductor/coil/choke design confusion

In summary, the equations for choke design given to you may not be accurate, so you need to ask your boss for an accurate equation.
engineerting
Hello all,
i have an equation for flux density taking the inductor chrecteristics into account as

Bmax= (Vrms * 10^8)/(4.44*A*N*f)

but the company i work for has given it at

Bmax=(Vl * 10^4)/(4.44*A*N*Vss)

where Vl = voltage across inductor.

i am finding a lot of variation for equations for the paratmeters of inductor/choke design.

i was wonderign if someone could shed light light on this confusion??

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You would need to define the symbols in those formulae first. Is the second formula just for a particular circuit? (Vss seems to be a supply voltage?)
What's the background to this?

engineerting said:
Hello all,
i have an equation for flux density taking the inductor chrecteristics into account as

Bmax= (Vrms * 10^8)/(4.44*A*N*f)

but the company i work for has given it at

Bmax=(Vl * 10^4)/(4.44*A*N*Vss)

where Vl = voltage across inductor.

i am finding a lot of variation for equations for the paratmeters of inductor/choke design.

i was wonderign if someone could shed light light on this confusion??

thanks

sophiecentaur said:
You would need to define the symbols in those formulae first. Is the second formula just for a particular circuit? (Vss seems to be a supply voltage?)
What's the background to this?

Vrms = rms of supply (what i understood this to be)
A = cross section of core
N= number of turns of coil
f= frequency of supply
Vss = supply voltage

the equations given to me for choke design work but are not accurate so i started to search around for an answer. there are lot of variations in the equations and also for Inductance i found the same thing.

The formula you have been given must be making assumptions about the frequency being used and, I guess, is supposed to make life easier for you to get an answer. It looks totally wrong and it is not 'dimensionally correct' because there is a V, top and bottom. But it may work in the particular context that they want you to work.
I should ask your boss what to do, if that's acceptable in your organisation. He is paid to sort that sort of thing out (?).

I can understand your confusion and the variations in equations for inductor/choke design. The equations you have provided are different, but they both relate to the maximum flux density (Bmax) in the inductor. The first equation takes into account the root mean square (Vrms) voltage, while the second equation uses the voltage across the inductor (Vl). Additionally, the second equation includes the voltage source (Vss) in its calculation.

Both equations have their own assumptions and limitations, and it is important to understand the context in which each one is used. The first equation may be more suitable for AC circuits, while the second equation may be more applicable in DC circuits.

To shed more light on this confusion, I suggest looking into the source of each equation and understanding the underlying principles and assumptions. It may also be helpful to consult with colleagues or experts in the field for their insights and experiences with inductor/choke design.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider and validate the equations used in any design process, and to understand the limitations and assumptions associated with them. This will help ensure the accuracy and effectiveness of the design.

Related to Inductor/coil/choke design confusion

What is the purpose of an inductor/coil/choke in a circuit?

An inductor/coil/choke is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is used in circuits to filter out high-frequency signals, block DC current, and smooth out fluctuations in power supply.

What factors affect the design of an inductor/coil/choke?

The design of an inductor/coil/choke is affected by factors such as the desired inductance value, the frequency of the circuit, the material used, the number of turns, and the physical size and shape of the component.

What is the difference between an inductor and a coil?

An inductor is a general term for any electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. A coil is a specific type of inductor that consists of a wire wound into a cylindrical shape. Coils are the most common type of inductor used in circuits.

What is the difference between an inductor and a choke?

Inductors and chokes are often used interchangeably, but technically, a choke is a type of inductor designed specifically to block high-frequency signals while allowing low-frequency signals to pass through. Chokes typically have a higher inductance value and are used in power supply circuits.

What is the best way to choose an inductor/coil/choke for a specific circuit?

The best way to choose an inductor/coil/choke for a specific circuit is to first determine the inductance value needed for the circuit. Then, consider the frequency of the circuit, the current and voltage ratings, and the physical size and shape of the component. It is also important to consider any other specific requirements of the circuit, such as temperature range or tolerance. Consult with a professional or use online calculators to help select the right inductor/coil/choke for your circuit.