Inductor behavior connected directly to DC (no resistor)?

In summary, the discussion centers around the behavior of an ideal inductor when connected directly to a DC voltage source. The question is why does the inductor behave like a short-circuit at time t=0. The equation I(t) = Vc/R * (1-e^(-t*L/R)) is referenced, but the focus is on the more fundamental equation v(t) = L \frac{di(t)}{dt}. It is pointed out that the current through the ideal inductor only becomes infinite in infinite time and is limited by the inductor's series resistance. The idea that the inductor should act like an open-circuit at t=0 is discussed, but it is clarified that the inductor does indeed conduct at
ME77
If an ideal inductor is connected directly (no resistor present) to a DC voltage source, why does it behave like a short-circuit at time t=0? If voltage across an inductor is related to the change in current (i.e. di/dt), then shouldn't the voltage across the inductor be very large at time t=0 because the current goes from zero to some value instantaneously (assume no resistor is series). This would imply that the inductor should act like an open-circuit at time t=0. Wouldn't the inductor oppose the initial current spike and prevent the initial current from flowing? I know that this is not true; however, I am trying to determine why not.

Thanks for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ME77 said:
If an ideal inductor is connected directly (no resistor present) to a DC voltage source, why does it behave like a short-circuit at time t=0? If voltage across an inductor is related to the change in current (i.e. di/dt), then shouldn't the voltage across the inductor be very large at time t=0 because the current goes from zero to some value instantaneously (assume no resistor is series). This would imply that the inductor should act like an open-circuit at time t=0. Wouldn't the inductor oppose the initial current spike and prevent the initial current from flowing? I know that this is not true; however, I am trying to determine why not.

Thanks for your help.

It is neither a short nor an open. Can you write the equation that relates the current through the inductor to the voltage across it?

berkeman said:
It is neither a short nor an open. Can you write the equation that relates the current through the inductor to the voltage across it?

berkeman - The equation is I(t) = Vc/R * (1-e^(-t*L/R)). Using the equation, I understand that the current becomes infinity (or indeterminate) when R=0. However, I am trying to understand what physically is happening. If R=0, does a magnetic field still form when current flows through an ideal conductor? Thanks.

ME77 said:
berkeman - The equation is I(t) = Vc/R * (1-e^(-t*L/R)). Using the equation, I understand that the current becomes infinity (or indeterminate) when R=0. However, I am trying to understand what physically is happening. If R=0, does a magnetic field still form when current flows through an ideal conductor? Thanks.

I had a more fundamental equation in mind:

[tex]v(t) = L \frac{di(t)}{dt}[/tex]

That's the way I think about inductors. What happens when you apply a step voltage across an inductor?

BTW -- the current through the ideal inductor only becomes infinite in infinite time. It is a linear ramp from t=0 to whenever. And with real inductors, the current is limited by the inductor's series resistance (check the datasheets for this number) and the source voltage.

ME77 said:
This would imply that the inductor should act like an open-circuit at time t=0. Wouldn't the inductor oppose the initial current spike and prevent the initial current from flowing? I know that this is not true; however, I am trying to determine why not.

It is true and your thoughts to the contrary are incorrect. Why do you think the ideal inductor conducts at t=0? It starts with 0 current and ramps linearly while building a magnetic field.

What caused your mixup?

Last edited by a moderator:
Note to participants in this thread: please don't over-complicate the issue. The focus here is on an ideal inductor.

Related to Inductor behavior connected directly to DC (no resistor)?

1. What is an inductor and how does it behave when connected directly to DC?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field when a current flows through it. When connected directly to a DC (direct current) source, the inductor will initially act as an open circuit, blocking the flow of current. However, as the current continues to flow, the inductor will start to build up a magnetic field and allow the current to flow through.

2. What is the time constant of an inductor connected to DC?

The time constant of an inductor connected to DC is the amount of time it takes for the current to reach 63.2% of its maximum value. This is determined by the inductance value of the inductor and the resistance of the circuit.

3. How does the inductor affect the voltage and current in a DC circuit?

When an inductor is connected to a DC circuit, it will cause the current to lag behind the voltage. This is because the inductor resists changes in current, so it takes time for the current to build up in the circuit. As a result, the voltage across the inductor will be higher than the voltage across the rest of the circuit, and the current will be lower.

4. Can an inductor be used to filter out DC signals?

Yes, an inductor can be used as part of a filter circuit to block or reduce the amount of DC signal in a circuit. This is because inductors have a high impedance to DC signals, so they will block or attenuate DC while allowing AC signals to pass through.

5. What are some practical applications of using an inductor connected to DC?

An inductor connected to DC can be used in various applications such as power supplies, motor control circuits, and audio amplifiers. Inductors are also commonly used in filters, oscillators, and timing circuits. In addition, inductors are essential components in electronic devices such as televisions, computers, and smartphones.