Inductor and capacitor as current and voltage sources

In summary, an inductor is a component that acts as a constant current source for a limited time until its energy is expended. On the other hand, a capacitor is a component that acts as a constant voltage source until its energy is spent. However, these properties only hold true in ideal conditions without any internal or external resistance present. In practical applications, inductors and capacitors can still function as current and voltage sources, respectively, but with some decay over time due to resistance. Some real-world applications of these properties include smoothing currents in power supplies and generating high voltages for ignition sparks in cars.
anhnha
Hi, I have just seen this statement in another forum:
An inductor is a constant current source for a limited time until its energy is expended. A capacitor is the counterpart being constant voltage until its energy is spent.

I am not quite understand it. Can you help me? This is not a homework. I am learning by myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
anhnha said:
An inductor is a constant current source for a limited time until its energy is expended. A capacitor is the counterpart being constant voltage until its energy is spent.

I am not quite understand it. Can you help me? This is not a homework. I am learning by myself.

It's easiest to see for the capacitor ... a capacitor stores energy which is released as it discharges.
But it is not true that it acts as a constant voltage source.
Please provide a link to where you saw this statement.

anhnha said:

It is a true statement for an ideal inductor if the inductor is shorted. Then the current is constant forever! But in reality the inductor will have some internal resistance R, so the current decays as exp(-Rt/L).

Similarly, a capacitor is a source of constant voltage if there is no internal resistance in shunt with it. But any internal (or external) shunt resistance causes voltage decay as exp(-t/RC).

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
It's easiest to see for the capacitor ... a capacitor stores energy which is released as it discharges.
But it is not true that it acts as a constant voltage source.
Please provide a link to where you saw this statement.

Please see post #10 here: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=75852

rude man said:
It is a true statement for an ideal inductor if the inductor is shorted. Then the current is constant forever! But in reality the inductor will have some internal resistance R, so the current decays as exp(-Rt/L).

Similarly, a capacitor is a source of constant voltage if there is no internal resistance in shunt with it. But any internal (or external) shunt resistance causes voltage decay as exp(-t/RC).
Then these are only current and voltage sources if no load are connected?

Well OK - but in that idealized case of R=0, the energy is discharged in zero time isn't it?

When inductor is connected to a resistor, its energy decreses with time. Finally the current is zero.
Can we call it a current source?
I don't see it fit the definition:
A Current source provides a constant current through a load, with varying voltage.

anhnha said:
When inductor is connected to a resistor, its energy decreses with time. Finally the current is zero.
Can we call it a current source?
I don't see it fit the definition:
A Current source provides a constant current through a load, with varying voltage.

The idea is that, for a sufficiently small time interval, the inductor behaves like an ideal current source. This does not mean that it is an ideal current source for all time.

If you consider circuit conditions at a particular instant in time (such as time t = 0+ after a switch closes or opens, thus changing the circuit layout in some way), then the current through the inductor at that instant will be the same as it was in the previous instant (t = 0). The inductor will manifest any required EMF to maintain the current flow, just as a current source would.

We use a similar concept when we analyze collisions in the presence of friction or changing potential energy; for a sufficiently brief time of collision momentum can be considered to be constant, even though we know that over longer time periods the momentum changes due to external forces acting on the system.

Likes 1 person
Thanks, get it.
But if so, consider inductor as a current source seems useless to me.
Is there any real application for this?

anhnha said:
Thanks, get it.
But if so, consider inductor as a current source seems useless to me.
Is there any real application for this?

Sure! Besides its use for analyzing initial conditions for sudden circuit changes, the property can be used to smooth the current of a power supply when the load presents sudden brief changes or for "killing" current spikes (noise) on power or signal lines, for example. Cars use interrupted coil current to generate high voltages for ignition sparks (the current forces a path across the spark plug gap).

Related to Inductor and capacitor as current and voltage sources

1. What is an inductor and how does it act as a current source?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. When an electric current passes through an inductor, the magnetic field around it resists any changes to the current, thus acting as a current source by maintaining a constant flow of current.

2. How does a capacitor act as a voltage source?

A capacitor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of an electric field. When a voltage is applied to a capacitor, it charges up and stores the energy. This stored energy can then be released as a constant voltage source, providing a steady flow of voltage.

3. Can an inductor or capacitor act as both a current and voltage source?

Yes, an inductor can act as both a current and voltage source, and so can a capacitor. This is because they both store energy, which can then be released as either current or voltage depending on the circuit they are connected to.

4. How do inductors and capacitors differ from batteries as energy sources?

Inductors and capacitors are passive components that store energy, whereas batteries are active components that produce energy. Inductors and capacitors do not create energy, but rather they store it and release it at a controlled rate. Batteries, on the other hand, generate energy through chemical reactions.

5. What are some common uses of inductors and capacitors as current and voltage sources?

Inductors and capacitors can be found in many electronic circuits, including power supplies, filters, and oscillators. They are also commonly used in audio and radio frequency applications to shape and control signals. Additionally, inductors and capacitors are essential components in the ignition systems of cars and other vehicles.