Inductive Proof: Sum of Cubes of First n Natural Numbers

In summary, we have proven using induction that the sum of cubes from 1 to n is equal to the square of half of n times n+1.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Prove that 13+23+...+n3=(n(n+1)/2)2 by using induction.?

help me

I have posted a link there to this question so the OP can view my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Vu,

We are given to prove by induction:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\left(k^3\right)=\left(\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\right)^2\)

First, we must check to see if our base case $P_1$ is true:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^1\left(k^3\right)=\left(\frac{1(1+1)}{2}\right)^2\)

\(\displaystyle 1^3=1^2\)

\(\displaystyle 1=1\)

The base case is true, so we next state the induction hypothesis $P_n$:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\left(k^3\right)=\left(\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\right)^2\)

As our inductive step, we may add $(n+1)^3$ to both sides:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^n\left(k^3\right)+(n+1)^3=\left(\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\right)^2+(n+1)^3\)

On the left, incorporate the new term within the sum and factor on the right:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n+1}\left(k^3\right)=(n+1)^2\left(\left(\frac{n}{2}\right)^2+(n+1)\right)\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n+1}\left(k^3\right)=(n+1)^2\left(\frac{n^2+4n+4}{4}\right)\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n+1}\left(k^3\right)=\frac{(n+1)^2(n+2)^2}{4}\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n+1}\left(k^3\right)=\left(\frac{(n+1)(n+2)}{2}\right)^2\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n+1}\left(k^3\right)=\left(\frac{(n+1)((n+1)+1)}{2}\right)^2\)

We have derived $P_{n+1}$ from $P_n$ thereby completing the proof by induction.

Related to Inductive Proof: Sum of Cubes of First n Natural Numbers

What is inductive proof?

Inductive proof is a mathematical method used to prove a statement or theorem for all natural numbers. It involves showing that a statement is true for a base case, typically n=1, and then proving that if the statement is true for some value of n, it is also true for n+1.

What is the sum of cubes of the first n natural numbers?

The sum of cubes of the first n natural numbers is given by the formula (n*(n+1)/2)^2. This can also be written as the summation of i^3 from i=1 to n, where i represents each natural number.

What is the purpose of using inductive proof for the sum of cubes of the first n natural numbers?

The purpose of using inductive proof for the sum of cubes of the first n natural numbers is to provide a rigorous and logical way to prove the formula for any value of n. It allows us to generalize the formula and prove it for all natural numbers, rather than just a few specific cases.

How is inductive proof applied to the sum of cubes of the first n natural numbers?

To apply inductive proof to the sum of cubes of the first n natural numbers, we first prove that the formula is true for the base case n=1. Then, we assume that the formula is true for some value of n, and use this assumption to prove that it is also true for n+1. This completes the inductive step, and by repeating this process, we can prove that the formula is true for all natural numbers.

What are some real-world applications of the sum of cubes of the first n natural numbers?

The sum of cubes of the first n natural numbers has applications in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It can be used to calculate the volume of certain shapes, such as cubes and spheres, and is also useful in solving problems involving series and sequences. In computer science, it can be used in algorithms and programming to optimize processes and solve complex problems.