Induction Proof of Inequality Involving Summation and Product

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from the book "An Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning" by Peter Eccles. The problem involves proving the inequality \[\frac1n\sum_{i=1}^nx_i \geq \left(\prod_{i=1}^nx_i\right)^{1/n}\] for positive integers \(n\) and positive real numbers \(x_i\). The author suggests using induction to prove the statement for \(n=2^m\) and then using the converse of the usual inductive step to extend it to all positive integers. The conversation then discusses the steps of the proof and how to handle the inductive step. The conversation then concludes with a clarification on the use of induction
Reckoner
I'm reading "An Introduction to Mathematical Reasoning," by Peter Eccles. It has some interesting exercises, and right now I'm stuck on this one:

"Prove that

\[\frac1n\sum_{i=1}^nx_i \geq \left(\prod_{i=1}^nx_i\right)^{1/n}\]

for positive integers \(n\) and positive real numbers \(x_i\)."

The author notes, "It does not seem possible to give a direct proof of this result using induction on \(n\). However, it can be proved for \(n = 2^m\) for \(m\geq0\) by induction on \(m\). The general result now follows by proving the converse of the usual inductive step: if the result holds for \(n = k + 1\), where \(k\) is a positive integer, then it holds for \(n = k\)."

So, following the author's advice, I try to show that

\[\frac1{2^m}\sum_{i=1}^{2^m}x_i \geq \left(\prod_{i=1}^{2^m}x_i\right)^{1/2^m}\]

for nonnegative integers \(m\). The base case is straightforward. Here's what I've tried for the inductive step:

Assume

\[\frac1{2^k}\sum_{i=1}^{2^k}x_i \geq \left(\prod_{i=1}^{2^k}x_i\right)^{1/2^k}\]

for some \(k \geq 0\). Then

\[\frac1{2^{k+1}}\sum_{i=1}^{2^{k+1}}x_i = \frac12\left(\frac1{2^k}\sum_{i=1}^{2^k}x_i + \frac1{2^k}\sum_{i=2^k+1}^{2^{k+1}}x_i\right).\]

Letting \(j = i - 2^k,\) we have

\[\frac12\left(\frac1{2^k}\sum_{i=1}^{2^k}x_i + \frac1{2^k}\sum_{i=2^k+1}^{2^{k+1}}x_i\right) = \frac12\left(\frac1{2^k}\sum_{i=1}^{2^k}x_i + \frac1{2^k}\sum_{j=1}^{2^k}x_{j+2^k}\right)\]

\[\geq\frac12\left(\prod_{i=1}^{2^k}x_i\right)^{1/2^k} + \frac12\left(\prod_{j=1}^{2^k}x_{j+2^k}\right)^{1/2^k}\mbox{ (by inductive hypothesis)}\]

\[=\frac12\left(\prod_{i=1}^{2^k}x_i\right)^{1/2^k} + \frac12\left(\prod_{i=2^k+1}^{2^{k+1}}x_i\right)^{1/2^k}.\]

And I'm not sure where to go from here. All that would be left is to show that

\[\frac12\left(\prod_{i=1}^{2^k}x_i\right)^{1/2^k} + \frac12\left(\prod_{i=2^k+1}^{2^{k+1}}x_i\right)^{1/2^k}\geq \left(\prod_{i=1}^{2^{k+1}}x_i\right)^{1/2^{k+1}},\]

but I'm not seeing it. Maybe I need to employ a different strategy altogether. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Reckoner said:
And I'm not sure where to go from here. All that would be left is to show that

\[\frac12\left(\prod_{i=1}^{2^k}x_i\right)^{1/2^k} + \frac12\left(\prod_{i=2^k+1}^{2^{k+1}}x_i\right)^{1/2^k}\geq \left(\prod_{i=1}^{2^{k+1}}x_i\right)^{1/2^{k+1}},\]
Now use the base case (for two numbers) again.

This proof, along with several others, is given in Wikipedia. I am not sure about the following claim, though: 'The general result now follows by proving the converse of the usual inductive step: if the result holds for n=k+1, where k is a positive integer, then it holds for n=k."' If we denote by $P(n)$ the claim that the arithmetic mean of n numbers is >= the geometric mean of those numbers, the proof first establishes $\forall k\, P(2^k)$ by induction on k. The last part of the proof shows that $P(m)$ and $n < m$ imply $P(n)$, so, in particular, indeed $P(2^{k+1})$ implies $P(2^k)$. However, it is not necessary to go from $P(2^{k+1})$ to $P(2^k)$; rather, if $2^k<n<2^{k+1}$, one goes from $P(2^{k+1})$ to $P(n)$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Now use the base case (for two numbers) again.

Wow, I completely missed that. The left-hand side is really just the mean of two positive numbers. Thanks a lot, I got it from here.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
The last part of the proof shows that $P(m)$ and $n < m$ imply $P(n)$, so, in particular, indeed $P(2^{k+1})$ implies $P(2^k)$. However, it is not necessary to go from $P(2^{k+1})$ to $P(2^k)$; rather, if $2^k<n<2^{k+1}$, one goes from $P(2^{k+1})$ to $P(n)$.

Unless I misunderstand you, I believe that is exactly what the author is saying. We've shown that, \(\forall k\geq0, P(2^k),\) so to prove \(P(k)\,\forall k\geq1\) we prove that \(P(k+1)\Rightarrow P(k)\).

Reckoner said:
Unless I misunderstand you, I believe that is exactly what the author is saying. We've shown that, \(\forall k\geq0, P(2^k),\) so to prove \(P(k)\,\forall k\geq1\) we prove that \(P(k+1)\Rightarrow P(k)\).
Even if we prove the converse of the usual inductive step, we don't use induction in the opposite direction. If we used such opposite induction, then we would start, say, with P(8), from there prove P(7), use it to prove P(6) and use that to prove P(5). Instead, P(5) is proved directly from P(8). Why emphasize $P(k + 1)\Rightarrow P(k)$ and create an impression that $P(2^k)\Rightarrow P(n)$ for $n < 2^k$ is proved in $2^k-n$ steps when it is proved in one step?

I was looking at the Wikipedia proof, which deals with the last part in one step. I should have realized that it is indeed reasonable (and more formal) to prove $P(k + 1)\Rightarrow P(k)$ for all k and thus prove $P(n)$ from $P(2^k)$ in $2^k-n$ steps.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I was looking at the Wikipedia proof, which deals with the last part in one step. I should have realized that it is indeed reasonable (and more formal) to prove $P(k + 1)\Rightarrow P(k)$ for all k and thus prove $P(n)$ from $P(2^k)$ in $2^k-n$ steps.

Yes, after taking a look at that proof, I understand what you were saying - they proved the statement for a general positive integer less than \(2^k\). I believe the author of my text worded his note in a way to emphasize the induction process, because one of the preceding chapters was an introduction to induction.

Thanks for the help.

Related to Induction Proof of Inequality Involving Summation and Product

1. What is an induction proof?

An induction proof is a mathematical method used to prove a statement for all natural numbers. It involves proving the statement for a base case (usually n = 1) and then showing that if the statement is true for some number n, it must also be true for n+1. This process is repeated until the statement is proven for all natural numbers.

2. How is summation used in induction proofs?

Summation is often used in induction proofs to represent the sum of a sequence of numbers. By using summation, we can simplify the proof and make it easier to work with.

3. What is the role of product in induction proofs?

Product is also commonly used in induction proofs to represent the product of a sequence of numbers. Like summation, it helps to simplify the proof and make it more manageable.

4. How can we prove an inequality involving summation and product using induction?

To prove an inequality involving summation and product using induction, we must first prove the statement for a base case (usually n = 1). Then, we assume the statement is true for some number n and use this assumption to prove that the statement is also true for n+1. Finally, we conclude that the statement is true for all natural numbers by the principle of mathematical induction.

5. Can induction proofs be used for all types of inequalities?

Yes, induction proofs can be used for all types of inequalities as long as the statement can be expressed in terms of natural numbers and can be proven using the principle of mathematical induction.