Induction Problem Related to Cars

In summary, we are given information about a small electric car that can overcome a 260N friction force when traveling at 23km/h. It has an electric motor powered by ten 12-V batteries connected in series and is coupled directly to the wheels with diameters of 57cm. The 240 armature coils, each measuring 11cm by 12cm, rotate in a 0.55T magnetic field. We are asked to find the current drawn by the motor, the back emf, the power dissipated in the coils, and the percentage of input power used to drive the car. The correct answers for these parts are 13.84 A, 39 V, 1300 W, and 33
NasuSama
Induction Problem Related to Cars...

Homework Statement

A small electric car overcomes a 260N friction force when traveling 23km/h . The electric motor is powered by ten 12-V batteries connected in series and is coupled directly to the wheels whose diameters are 57cm . The 240 armature coils are rectangular, 11cm by 12cm , and rotate in a 0.55T magnetic field.

(a) How much current does the motor draw to produce the required torque?

(b) What is the back emf?

(c) How much power is dissipated in the coils?

(d) What percent of the input power is used to drive the car?

Homework Equations

##\text{Power} = Fv##
##E = \dfrac{nBA}{t}##
##V = IR##

The Attempt at a Solution

Only answer to part b is correct.

a)

force, F = 260

v = 23 km/h = 23/3.6 = 6.39 m/s

power = F*v = 260*6.39 = 1661.1 W

Also, Power = V*I

V = 12*10 = 120 V

So, I = Power/V = 415.3/120 = 13.84 A <---------answer

b)

back emf = NBAW <--- B= magnetic field = 0.55 T,

W = angular speed = speed/radius

diameter = 57cm = 0.57 m

so, radius = 0.57/2 = 0.285 m,

So, W = 6.39/0.285 = 22.42 rad/s

N = number of turns = 240,

A = area = 0.11*0.12 = 0.0132 m2

So, back emf = 240*0.55*0.0132*22.42 = 39.1 V <-------answer

c)

power dissipated in coils = (V - back emf)*current

= (120-39.1)*13.84 = 1119.7 W <----------------answer

d)

percentage of input power = 1119.7/1661.1 = 67.4 percent <-------answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignore part a, b and d. I got the right answers contrast to the answers I previously posted. I really need help in part c.

My answers are:

a. 43 A
b. 39 V
c. 1300 W
d. 33%

I don't know how to answer part c.

Does anyone have any idea of how to approach this problem? I'm really stuck on part (c).

Related to Induction Problem Related to Cars

1. What is the induction problem related to cars?

The induction problem related to cars refers to the challenge of predicting the performance and reliability of a car based on limited information or past experiences. It involves using past observations or data to make generalizations or assumptions about future outcomes for a specific car model.

2. Why is the induction problem important for cars?

The induction problem is important for cars because it affects the decision-making process for consumers, manufacturers, and regulators. For consumers, it can impact their purchasing decisions and satisfaction with a car. For manufacturers, it can impact their reputation and sales. And for regulators, it can impact safety standards and regulations for the automotive industry.

3. What factors contribute to the induction problem in cars?

There are several factors that contribute to the induction problem in cars, including the complexity of car systems, variations in manufacturing processes, individual driving habits, and environmental factors. Additionally, advancements in technology and design can also add to the complexity and unpredictability of car performance and reliability.

4. How can the induction problem be addressed in the automotive industry?

The induction problem can be addressed in the automotive industry through ongoing research and development, quality control measures, and data analysis. By continuously gathering and analyzing data from various sources, such as customer feedback and performance testing, manufacturers can improve their understanding of the induction problem and make more accurate predictions for their cars.

5. Can the induction problem be completely solved?

It is unlikely that the induction problem can be completely solved in the automotive industry. However, with advancements in technology and data analysis, it can be minimized and managed to a certain extent. Ultimately, car performance and reliability will always be subject to various factors and variables, making it impossible to eliminate the induction problem entirely.