Induction Limitations in Proving Countable Sets: Understanding Analysis

• Thread starter linuxux
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of induction to prove part (ii) of Theorem 1.4.13, which states that the union of countable sets is countable. The conversation also explores the idea of arranging natural numbers into a two-dimensional array to prove this theorem. It is concluded that induction cannot be used to prove part (ii) and that the array method is a more effective approach.
linuxux
Hello, I'm working from a book called 'Understanding Analysis' by Stephen Abbott and there is a question I'm not sure about:

Explain why induction cannot be used to prove part (ii) of Theorem 1.4.13 from part (i).

Theorem 1.4.13 says:
(i) If [tex]A_1 , A_2 , \ldots A_m[/tex] are each countable sets, then the union [tex] A_1 \cup A_2 \cup \ldots \cup A_m [/tex] is countable.
(ii) If [tex]A_n[/tex] is a countable set for each [tex]n \in \mathbf{N}[/tex], then [tex]\cup^{\infty}_{n=1} A_n[/tex] is countable.

I thought it would be helpful to note that in the previous problem, I had two sets [tex]A_1[/tex] and [tex]A_2[/tex], both of which are countable, and had to prove that their union was also countable. in that instance, a set [tex]B_1[/tex] was made by [tex]A_1 / A_2 [/tex] which made [tex]A_1 \cup B_1[/tex] equal to [tex]A_1 \cup A_2[/tex] but [tex]A_1[/tex] and [tex]B_1[/tex] were disjoint, which was required in order to have a 1-1 function.

-im not sure if i could prove it by contradiction like this: i can assume there is a single list of all the combined elements in the sets. in this list there are nested intervals, and because the list will be mapped to a function, we assume there are no repeated elements in the list. so i define the list so element [tex]x_k[/tex] does not belong to interval [tex]I_{k+1}[/tex] (i'm not sure if this qualifies as an induction). thus the intersection of intervals is an empty set, as it should be. but the nested interval property says that the intersection is non-empty, so we know the list is missing at least on element, so we can't use the inductive method to prove part (ii) of Theorem 1.4.13 from part (i).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't actually said what your problem is i.e. what you're not sure about. Your statement after the question doesn't really shed any light on what's bothering you.

If I assume you don't see why induction won't work, let me put it this way:

What does induction say? SUppose we have a set of statements indexed by the integers:

P(1), P(2),...

and if P(1) is true, and P(m) implies P(m+1), then all statements are true.

The statement P(m) here is that the union of m countable sets is countable. So (ii) induction doesn't even apply to (ii), since it isn't any of the statements P(m) for any integer m. We could label it the statement P(infinity), I suppose, but then induction has nothing to say about P(infinity) given P(m) for any m less than infinity.

Last edited:
if its any help, the next question is how does arranging [tex]\mathbf{N}[/tex] into a two-dimensional array like:

1 3 6 10 15 ...
2 5 9 14 ...
4 8 13 ...
7 12 ...
11 ...

lead to the proof of part (ii) of Theorem 1.4.13?

- for this question, i can see right off the bat that if we create a function which maps [tex]\mathbf{N}[/tex] to the index's of the array then we'll get a function which is onto.

Last edited:
What do you mean 'if it's any help'? You're the person asking for help, but so far you haven't said what the problem* is.

So, do you understand why induction doesn't work? Do you understand why this other idea does work? (Hint: each natural number n occurs precisely once in the array.)

* in the sense of what you do not understand.

thanks, that was my original idea, there is no infinity+1, i didn't know how to phrase it though.

Last edited:

Related to Induction Limitations in Proving Countable Sets: Understanding Analysis

1. What is the Countable Sets Problem?

The Countable Sets Problem is a mathematical concept that deals with the different sizes or cardinalities of sets. It specifically addresses the question of whether or not there are sets that are too large to be counted, or if all sets can be counted in a systematic and organized manner.

2. How does the Countable Sets Problem relate to infinity?

The Countable Sets Problem is closely tied to the concept of infinity because it deals with the idea of counting an infinite number of objects. It helps us understand the different levels of infinity and whether or not some infinities are larger than others.

3. What is the difference between a countable set and an uncountable set?

A countable set is a set that can be counted in a finite or infinite manner, while an uncountable set is a set that cannot be counted in any systematic way. Countable sets have a one-to-one correspondence with the natural numbers, while uncountable sets do not.

4. What is the significance of the Countable Sets Problem?

The Countable Sets Problem has significant implications in mathematics and other related fields. It helps us understand the concept of infinity, and its different levels, which has applications in calculus, topology, and other branches of mathematics. It also has implications in computer science and the study of algorithms.

5. Is the Countable Sets Problem still unsolved?

No, the Countable Sets Problem has been proven to be true. It was first solved by Georg Cantor in the late 19th century, and his work on this problem laid the foundation for the study of different levels of infinity and set theory. However, there are still ongoing debates and discussions about its implications and applications in various fields of study.