What is the proper notation for recursion in LaTex?

In summary, recursion is a concept where a function or algorithm calls itself until a certain condition is met. Notation is important for recursion as it helps analyze and understand recursive algorithms and their complexity. The most commonly used notations for recursion are big O, theta, and omega. A recursive algorithm can be expressed in notation by analyzing the number of recursive calls and their complexity. However, notation for recursion may not accurately reflect actual performance due to assumptions and not considering external factors.
Bob3141592
Okay, my first attempt at LaTex was terrible, and the post originally made in this space was undecipherable. I requestd this thread be deleted, and I'll be posting a proper (I hope) version in a separate thread.

Thanks for your patience.

Bob

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
How come only the first LaTex formula is showing up typeset? What am I doing wrong?

You need a forward slash in the closing itex tag, not a backslash.

LaTex notation experimentation - no other content, so don't pay any attention to this post.

[tex]({\colv{a}{b}})[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is recursion?

Recursion is a programming or mathematical concept in which a function or algorithm calls itself repeatedly until a certain condition is met.

2. Why is notation important for recursion?

Notation for recursion is important because it allows us to clearly express and analyze recursive algorithms and functions. It also helps us understand the time and space complexity of these algorithms.

3. What are the commonly used notations for recursion?

The most commonly used notations for recursion are big O notation, theta notation, and omega notation. These notations provide information about the growth rate of a recursive function or algorithm.

4. How can we express a recursive algorithm in notation?

A recursive algorithm can be expressed in notation by analyzing the number of recursive calls made and the complexity of each call. This information is then used to determine the overall time and space complexity of the algorithm.

5. What are the limitations of using notation for recursion?

Notation for recursion may not accurately reflect the actual performance of a recursive algorithm in certain cases. This is because it is based on assumptions and does not take into account factors such as hardware constraints or implementation details.