Inductance and Instantaneous Current

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of inductance needed for a 20.0-Hz sinusoidal power supply with a 50.0-V peak voltage to maintain an instantaneous current below 77.4 mA. Using the equation X(L) = 2pi*f*L, the value of inductance is calculated to be 7.27 Henry. However, the correct answer is 5.14 Henry due to the use of peak values instead of rms values in the calculations.
4Phreal

Homework Statement

An inductor is connected to a 20.0-Hz sinusoidal power supply that produces a 50.0-V peak voltage. What inductance is needed to keep the instantaneous current in the circuit below 77.4 mA?

Homework Equations

X(L)min = V(rms)/I(rms)
I(rms) = I(max)/√2
X(L) = 2pi*f*L

The Attempt at a Solution

I(rms) = 77.4E-3 A / sqrt(2) = 0.0547300649 A
X(L)min = 50 V / 0.0547300649 A = 913.5746527 ohms
L = X(L)/(2pi*f) = 913.5746527 ohms / 2 / pi / 20 Hz = 7.27 Henry

But the answer is actually 5.14 Henry and I can't figure out why. Where did I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem speaks about the instantaneous current value, so you'll want to deal with peak values rather than RMS ones.

Or, equivalently, you didn't use the rms voltage when you calculated the reactance.

Related to Inductance and Instantaneous Current

1. What is inductance?

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes the ability of a circuit to generate an electromotive force (emf) in response to a changing current. It is measured in Henrys (H) and is represented by the symbol L.

2. How is inductance related to instantaneous current?

Inductance and instantaneous current are closely related. Inductance is directly proportional to the rate at which the current is changing. This means that when the current changes quickly, the inductance will be higher, and when the current changes slowly, the inductance will be lower.

3. What is the formula for calculating inductance?

The formula for inductance is L = NΦ/I, where N is the number of turns in the coil, Φ is the flux through the coil, and I is the current in the coil.

4. How does inductance affect the flow of current in a circuit?

Inductance opposes changes in current flow in a circuit. When the current in a circuit changes, the inductance generates an emf that opposes the change in current. This can cause a delay in the flow of current in the circuit.

5. How is inductance used in practical applications?

Inductance has many practical applications, including in transformers, motors, generators, and electronic circuits. It is also used in filters to block certain frequencies and inductors are used to store energy in electronic circuits.