Inductance and designing a coil

In summary, the task is to design a coil with a given inductance value of 1 mH, wound on a non-magnetic former of 5mm diameter and 20mm length. The diameter of the winding should not exceed 7mm. The number of turns, wire diameter, number of layers, and resistance of the winding can be calculated using the equation L = \frac{\mu_0 n^2 A}{l}, where n is the number of turns, A is the area of one of the wire loops, and l is the length of the coil. The wire diameter will only matter in determining the needed thickness to fit the required number of turns into the given space.
Hussman
Hi all, I'm studying computer aided design at university but i have to complete an electronics module. My knowledge is extremely basic and my lecturer 'does not have the time to go through basic physics' so i need a little help.

I have been asked to...

'Design a coil which has a given inductance value of 1 mH. The coil is to be
wound on a non-magnetic former of 5mm diameter, 20 mm long. The diameter
of the winding should not exceed 7 mm.

Specify the number of turns, wire diameter, number of layers needed and
calculate the resistance of the winding.'

I haven’t attempted this question yet as i have no idea where to start. Any help would be massively appreciated

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a simple equation that describes the inductance of a solenoid - basically any coil with many turns of wire on it. This is it:

[tex] L = \frac{\mu_0 n^2 A}{l} [/tex]

where [tex]\mu_0[/tex] is the magnetic permeability of free space, n is the number of turns of the wire, A is the area of one of the wire loops, and l is the length of the coil, measured from the first turn to the last.

Just make sure everything is entered in SI units (meters, amps, etc.) and you should be fine. Take note that the wire diameter is not part of this equation. The only reason it will matter for you is you know that given the inner and maximum outer dimensions of the coil, the wire will need to be a certain thickness to get the needed number of turns to fit into the space you have.

Related to Inductance and designing a coil

1) What is inductance and how does it relate to designing a coil?

Inductance is the property of an electrical circuit that causes it to oppose any changes in the current flowing through it. It is typically measured in units of Henrys (H) and is directly related to the number of turns in a coil. The more turns a coil has, the higher its inductance will be.

2) How do I calculate the inductance of a coil?

The inductance of a coil can be calculated using the formula L = (µN²A)/l, where L is the inductance in Henrys, µ is the permeability of the core material, N is the number of turns, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil. Alternatively, there are many online calculators and software programs available for calculating inductance.

3) What factors affect the inductance of a coil?

The inductance of a coil can be affected by several factors, including the number of turns, the cross-sectional area, the core material, and the length of the coil. Additionally, the shape and spacing of the turns can also impact the inductance.

4) How can I increase the inductance of a coil?

To increase the inductance of a coil, you can increase the number of turns, use a core material with a higher permeability, or increase the cross-sectional area of the coil. You can also stack multiple coils together to create a higher inductance value.

5) Can I design a coil for a specific inductance value?

Yes, it is possible to design a coil for a specific inductance value by adjusting the factors that affect inductance. By using the inductance formula and experimenting with different values for the variables, you can achieve the desired inductance for your coil. However, keep in mind that the actual inductance may vary slightly due to factors such as wire resistance and stray capacitance.