Induced tension magnetic field (B)

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the induced tension in a circular conductor loop placed in a magnetic field. The variables given are the strength of the magnetic field, B, the time, Delta t, and the diameter of the loop, d. The problem can be solved by using the equation for magnetic flux, Phi_B = int_A B dA, where Phi_B is the magnetic flux, B is the magnitude of the magnetic field, and A = πr^2 is the area of the loop. The induced tension, U_i, can then be calculated using the equation U_i = (dPhi_B)/(dt). The conversation also discusses using the Lorentz force to solve the problem, but it involves more math.
Basip

Homework Statement

I have the strength of the magnetic field, B, the time, Delta t, a circle formed ring with the diameter, d. I should calculate the induced tension, when the surface is

(a) parallel to the B field
(b) 50 degrees on the B field

Need help to solve it (symbolic if possible).

Homework Equations

I thought of something like:
[tex] $U_H = A_H \frac{I B}{d}$ [/tex],
but I don't have "I". And there are no angles there. Please tell me how to solve it symbolic.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please look the (2).

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Basip, welcome (back) to PF :smile: !

Could you please re-read your posting and complete the problem statement ? Perhaps even add a little drawing ? It is now rather unclear what the exercise wants you to do. It's fine if you mention ##\Delta t##, but what it its role in this problem ?

Also all and any symbols you want to use in part 3 need clarification. ##U_H## is probably the induced emf ? and ##A_H## an area ? Don't let us guess unnecessarily !

And you can do displayed equations with $## ##$U_H = A_H \frac{I B}{d} $## ##$ to get $$ U_H = A_H \frac{I B}{d} $$ and in-line equations with ##\#\# ##U_H = A_H \frac{I B}{d}##\#\# ## to get things like ##U_H = A_H \frac{I B}{d} ##

However, your equation doesn't make much sense to me. You sure it fits in the problem context ? Could it be you need something else ?

Dear BvU!

Thank you for your help so far. I don't know how to edit my question, so I reply here.

Variables to play with
$$B=0.58T$$
$$ \Delta t=0.10s$$
$$d=0.105m$$

Question formulation
In a magnetic field, B, at the time, ## \Delta t ##, is the surface of a circular conductor loop,d, halved. Calculate the tension, when the surface
  1. is perpendicular to B
  2. has an angular of ##30^\circ## with B
  3. is parallel to B
How I think it could be solved
The magnetic flux
$$\Phi_B = \int_A \vec B d \vec A$$,
where ##\Phi_B## is the magnetic flux, ##B## is the magnitude of the magnetic field and ##A=\pi r^2## is the areal.

The induction tension
$$U_i = \frac{d \Phi_B}{dt} = \frac{\int_A \vec B d \vec A}{dt}$$,
where ##U_i## is the induction tension.

1. ##U_i = \frac{\sin(90^\circ) A B}{dt}##
  2. ##U_i = \frac{\sin(30^\circ) A B}{dt}##
  3. ##U_i = \frac{\sin(180^\circ) A B}{dt}##
Is that correct? Could it be solved this way?

Questions
Question 1
Can I write it this way?
$$\Phi_B = \int_A \vec B d \vec A.$$
I think it looks wrong, because we have two integrals on the right side and a number on the left side. How could I write it so it doesn't look wrong? I think there are more than one way to write it correct, so please write more than one solution. I think you could use the cross product sign?

Question 2
But now I have solved it the Gaußian way(?). Could I solve it Lorentzian too? I thought of using ##F=q\,\vec v \times \vec B##. The firs formula I suggested is, I think, wrong (it was about the Hall Effect).

Yours Faitfully,
and thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:
Dear Basip,
a quick answer I may have to correct when I'm more awake:
My compliments for your now much clearer post. You have the given variables, the right equation and the right plan to solve. So go ahead !

As to your questions: 1. yes, it is a bit strange, but correct. Check Faraday's law. That ##\vec {dA}## is a surface area .
2. I wouldn't consider this the gaussian way. That has to do with divergence. But in both cases a surface integral is needed.
There is an approach based on the Lorentz force, I think, but I can't investigate now. Check further down in the Faraday link. But it involves more math.

Last edited:
Everything has fallen into place ? And all done ? Or are there further questions ?

BvU said:
Everything has fallen into place ? And all done ? Or are there further questions ?
Thank you for your help :-)

Related to Induced tension magnetic field (B)

What is an induced tension magnetic field (B)?

An induced tension magnetic field (B) is a type of magnetic field that is created when a changing magnetic field passes through a conductor, causing a current to flow. This current then creates its own magnetic field, which is known as an induced tension magnetic field (B).

How is an induced tension magnetic field (B) created?

An induced tension magnetic field (B) is created when a changing magnetic field passes through a conductor, such as a wire. This changing magnetic field induces a current in the conductor, which in turn creates its own magnetic field.

What are some practical applications of induced tension magnetic field (B)?

Induced tension magnetic field (B) has many practical applications, including generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines and particle accelerators.

What factors affect the strength of an induced tension magnetic field (B)?

The strength of an induced tension magnetic field (B) depends on the strength of the changing magnetic field, the number of turns in the conductor, and the speed at which the magnetic field is changing. A stronger changing magnetic field or a higher number of turns in the conductor will result in a stronger induced tension magnetic field (B).

How is an induced tension magnetic field (B) different from a permanent magnet?

An induced tension magnetic field (B) is created by a changing magnetic field and only exists as long as the changing magnetic field is present. In contrast, a permanent magnet has a consistent magnetic field that does not change over time. Additionally, the strength and direction of an induced tension magnetic field (B) can be altered, while a permanent magnet's field cannot be easily changed.