Induced potential in a bar due to a magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a bar moving through a magnetic field, and the resulting force and potential difference. The solution involves using the Lorentz force and electric field equations to calculate the force and potential difference, and determining the type of charge carriers based on the direction of the electric field. The suggested improvements include using standard symbols for current and absolute value for the magnetic field, as well as including a diagram and further explanation for part (iii).
Faloren

Homework Statement

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6536/physics1.png

Homework Equations

Lorentz Force = [itex]F = q(E+(v\times B))[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i. [itex]I = \frac{dQ}{dt}[/itex]

So, dQ = number of electrons x area dx

i.e. [itex]I = \frac{n e d^2}{dt}dx = n e d^2 v_d[/itex]

ii

Presumably the velocity of the electrons combined with the magnetic field means that we use the Lorentz force - giving us a force on each electron. The electrons move to one side and cause the bar to effectively polarise. The electrons will stop moving when the electrostatic attraction between the negatively charged region of the bar and the postively charged region of the bar are equal.

So:

[itex] Force = Eq[/itex] and [itex]Force = q(v \times B) = qvB[/itex]

Combining the two gives:

[itex] Eq = qvB, E = vB = \frac{I}{ned^2}|B|[/itex]

Electric field can be used to work out the potential:

[itex] V_b - V_a = \int{E.dl} = V = Ed = \frac{I}{ned}|B|[/itex]

The force is to the left of the diagram, using the right hand rule and so the electric field points from right to left (positive charges on the right hand side, so the field goes to the negative region - where all the electrons are).

iii. By observing which way the electric field is - or rather what the potential difference is between one side of the bar and the other, it should tell us what the charge carriers are. If they're negative we will see a potential as above, if they're positive it will be as above, but negative.Does that look ok?

(i haven't drawn a diagram, but as i said, i would expect the field to flow from right to left, positive to negative)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Your solution looks good to me. I agree with your logic and calculations. Just a few suggestions to make it even better:

- In your equation for current (I = n e d^2 v_d), I would suggest using the symbol "A" instead of "I" to represent current, as that is the standard symbol used in physics for current.
- In your equation for electric field (E = vB), I would suggest using the absolute value of the magnetic field (|B|) instead of just B, as the magnetic field can be either positive or negative depending on the direction of the current.
- In your explanation for part (iii), I would suggest adding a sentence or two about how the direction of the electric field (or potential difference) can help us determine the type of charge carriers. For example, if the electric field is from right to left, it means that the positive charges are on the right and the negative charges are on the left, which indicates that the charge carriers are negative.
- Lastly, it would be great to include a diagram, as it can help to visualize the situation and make it easier for others to understand your solution.

Overall, great job on your solution! Keep up the good work.

Related to Induced potential in a bar due to a magnetic field

1. What is induced potential in a bar due to a magnetic field?

Induced potential in a bar due to a magnetic field refers to the creation of an electrical potential difference in a conducting bar when it is placed in a changing magnetic field. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and is based on Faraday's Law.

2. How does a magnetic field induce potential in a bar?

When a conducting bar is placed in a changing magnetic field, the field lines passing through the bar will also change. This change in the magnetic field will create a changing magnetic flux through the bar, which in turn will induce an electric field within the bar. This electric field will then cause an electric potential difference to develop along the length of the bar.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced potential in a bar?

The magnitude of induced potential in a bar is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the rate of change of the magnetic field, the length and orientation of the bar, and the material properties of the bar (such as its conductivity and permeability).

4. What is the difference between induced potential and induced current in a bar?

Induced potential refers to the development of an electric potential difference in a bar due to a changing magnetic field. This potential difference can then cause an induced current to flow through the bar, which is the movement of electric charges. Therefore, induced potential and induced current are related but are not the same phenomenon.

5. How is induced potential in a bar used in practical applications?

Induced potential in a bar has several practical applications, including power generation in electric generators, induction heating in metal processing, and magnetic braking in trains and roller coasters. It is also used in devices such as transformers and electric motors.