Induced EMF - Does Voltage Change Matter?

In summary, changing the voltage of a dc power supply connected to a solenoid will induce an emf to oppose the change in magnetic flux. This also applies to ac power supplies. Emf can be induced by changes in the solenoid's own current as well as changes caused by external agents.
whitegheghe10
Suppose now i have connected a solenoid with a dc power supply of 10V
When i increase the voltage to 20V the magnetic flux through the coil have increased
will emf be induced shortly to oppose the change?

what if i now change it to a 10V ac power supply
so will there always be induced emf to oppose the change?

I am not clear about whether emf will be induced as a result of change in flux just due to change in its own current or will it occur only when the change is cause by external agent ( for example pushing a bar magnet towards the solenoid)

Physics news on Phys.org
whitegheghe10 said:
Suppose now i have connected a solenoid with a dc power supply of 10V
When i increase the voltage to 20V the magnetic flux through the coil have increased
will emf be induced shortly to oppose the change?
Yes.

whitegheghe10 said:
what if i now change it to a 10V ac power supply
so will there always be induced emf to oppose the change?
Yes.
whitegheghe10 said:
I am not clear about whether emf will be induced as a result of change in flux just due to change in its own current or will it occur only when the change is cause by external agent ( for example pushing a bar magnet towards the solenoid)
Both.

Related to Induced EMF - Does Voltage Change Matter?

1. What is induced EMF?

Induced EMF, or electromotive force, is the voltage created in a conductor when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

2. How is induced EMF different from regular EMF?

Regular EMF is created by a voltage source, such as a battery, while induced EMF is created by a changing magnetic field.

3. Does the voltage change matter for induced EMF?

Yes, the voltage change is a crucial factor in inducing EMF. The greater the change in voltage, the stronger the induced EMF will be.

4. What factors affect the amount of induced EMF?

The amount of induced EMF is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the magnetic field changes, and the number of turns in the conductor.

5. How is induced EMF used in real-life applications?

Induced EMF is used in many applications, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of devices like microphones and speakers.