Introducing Classical Mechanics: A Guide for Beginners

In summary, Dimitri recommends a site called www.lanl.gov/PS_cache/physics/pdf/9909/9909035.pdf that provides a good introduction to the Lagrange/Hamilton formalism. Pete found a similar site at this link: www.geocities.com/physics_world/
Kalimaa23
Greetings,

My academic year draws to an end. I was hoping to prepare some of my 2nd year courses. Especially classical mechanics.

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a site that would allow me to get a good intoduction into the Lagrange/Hamilton formalism.

I already found a graduate course on the subject, but find it a bit out of my league. With no knowledge of partial differential equations it is rather hard to follow, especially if all these things are considered "trivial" :wink:

I have a good grasp of Linear Algebra (up to hermitian an symmetric operators), multivariable calculus and Newtonian mechanics, to give you an idea of the level I'm looking for.

-Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Dimitri Terryn
Greetings,

My academic year draws to an end. I was hoping to prepare some of my 2nd year courses. Especially classical mechanics.

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a site that would allow me to get a good intoduction into the Lagrange/Hamilton formalism.

I already found a graduate course on the subject, but find it a bit out of my league. With no knowledge of partial differential equations it is rather hard to follow, especially if all these things are considered "trivial" :wink:

I have a good grasp of Linear Algebra (up to hermitian an symmetric operators), multivariable calculus and Newtonian mechanics, to give you an idea of the level I'm looking for.

-Thanks in advance

I think this document

www.courses.fas.harvard.edu/~phys16/handouts/textbook/ch5.pdf

is a great place to start. Also - During the summer I plan on building the mechanics section to my web site

www.geocities.com/physics_world/

Feel free to e-mail me on anything at peter.brown46@verizon.net. It'll help guide me in deciding what to include and at what level etc. We can help each other in this respect.

Pete

Thank yoy both.

Tom, the one you found is exactly the one I already have. It is a bit out of my league, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

Pete, what you have seems just fine. I'll keep in tocuh.

I stand corrected, the Harvard one is EXCELLENT! Exactly what I was looking for.

Their whole server is packed with courses and textbooks like this...
The mathematics section does seem a little less developped than the physics one, but there are some interesting things there.

The trouble is, that just using their stuff on your site will probably violate half a dozen copyright regulations

I'll keep looking for more, and if anything else comes up I'll post it up on this thread.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, such as those we can see and interact with in our daily lives. It is primarily concerned with the study of how forces affect the motion of these objects, and it provides a framework for understanding the basic principles of motion.

2. Who is this guide intended for?

This guide is intended for beginners who have little to no prior knowledge of classical mechanics. It is written in a way that is easy to understand and does not require any advanced math skills. It is a great starting point for anyone interested in learning about the fundamentals of mechanics.

3. What topics are covered in this guide?

This guide covers the basic principles of classical mechanics, including Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, and the concept of work and power. It also explores topics such as rotational motion and simple harmonic motion. Each topic is explained in a clear and concise manner, making it easy for beginners to grasp.

4. How is this guide different from other resources on classical mechanics?

This guide is specifically designed for beginners and focuses on providing a conceptual understanding of classical mechanics rather than delving into complicated mathematical equations. It also includes real-world examples and applications to help readers better understand the principles being discussed.

5. Do I need any prior knowledge or math skills to understand this guide?

No, this guide is written for beginners and does not require any prior knowledge or advanced math skills. However, having a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry can be helpful in fully comprehending some of the concepts presented.