Indexes of inertia for the function

In summary, the moment of inertia is the number of positive or negative terms in the standard form of a quadratic form.
smile1
Hello everyone

Here is the question

Find positive and negative indexes of inertia for the function $q(x)=TrX^2$ on the space $M_n(R)$

I did some work, first I suppose $X$ as a n by n matrix, then $TrX^2=a_{11}^2 +...+a_{nn}^2+2(a_{ij}a_{ji})$

It seems like that all terms are positive, unless $a_{ji}=-a_{ji}$, hence the positive index will be $3n$ and the negative index is $0$.

Am I right?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
smile said:
Hello everyone

Here is the question

Find positive and negative indexes of inertia for the function $q(x)=TrX^2$ on the space $M_n(R)$

I did some work, first I suppose $X$ as a n by n matrix, then $TrX^2=a_{11}^2 +...+a_{nn}^2+2(a_{ij}a_{ji})$

It seems like that all terms are positive, unless $a_{ji}=-a_{ji}$, hence the positive index will be $3n$ and the negative index is $0$.

Am I right?

Thanks.

Hi simile, :)

By definition (read >>this<<) the moment of inertia is the number of positive or negative terms in the standard from of a quadratic form. That is positive moment of inertia stands for the number of positive terms in the standard form and negative moment of inertia stands for the number of negative terms in the standard form.

So you have to first reduce your quadratic form into it's standard from. Notice that,

\begin{eqnarray}

q(x)&=&\mbox{Tr }X^2\\

&=&\sum_{i=1}^{n}\sum_{j=1}^{n}x_{ij}x_{ji}\\

&=&\sum_{i=1}^{n}x_{ii}^2+\sum_{i>j}^{n}\sum_{j=1}^{n}\frac{1}{2}[(x_{ij}+x_{ji})^2-(x_{ij}-x_{ji})^2]\\

\end{eqnarray}

This is in fact the standard form of \(q\). We have written each non-square term \(2x_{ij}x_{ji}\) where \(i\neq j\) as \(\frac{1}{2}[(x_{ij}+x_{ji})^2-(x_{ij}-x_{ji})^2]\). So if you count the number of negative terms you'll get, \(\frac{n^2-n}{2}\) and the number of positive terms is \(\frac{n^2+n}{2}\).

There's another method of doing this which is explained >>here<<.

Related to Indexes of inertia for the function

1. What is an index of inertia for a function?

An index of inertia for a function is a measure of the function's resistance to change. It is typically used in physics and engineering to analyze the stability and dynamics of a system.

2. How is an index of inertia calculated?

An index of inertia is calculated by taking the second derivative of the function and evaluating it at a specific point. This value represents the function's curvature at that point and can be used to determine its inertia.

3. What does a high index of inertia indicate?

A high index of inertia indicates that the function has a strong resistance to change. This means that it is less likely to be affected by external forces or perturbations, and will remain stable over time.

4. Can the index of inertia change for a function?

Yes, the index of inertia can change for a function as it is dependent on the specific point at which it is evaluated. Therefore, as the function changes, its index of inertia may also change.

5. How is the index of inertia used in real-world applications?

The index of inertia is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze the stability and dynamics of systems. It can also be used to assess the effectiveness of control strategies in various industries.