Index of Refraction Through a Cylindrical Tube

In summary, the person is trying to figure out how to ray trace a line through a tube with a thickness, and is stuck on the calculation of Θ3. They receive help from someone and are able to solve the equation for Θ3.
C. C.
Hello All,
I would like to start learning how to ray trace but the tracing through a tube with a thickness of t has got me stumped. If I have an n1 (outside tube), n2 (Tube), and n3 (inside tube). n1≠n2≠n3. Knowing Θ1 (the angle of incidence in relation to the normal), I can calculate Θ2 from Snell's Law. The problem is that I am not sure as to how to calculate Θ3 (At the interface of the tube to the Inside of the tube). I am pretty sure I need to solve for Θ3 in relation to Θ2. I tried to approach the problem by trying to find the arclengths from the center of the tube, but I could not solve it from that method. Does anybody have some experience in this to point me in the right direction.

I have attached a drawing since my explanation is not very clear. The drawing is not to scale. r2 refers to the radius of the outer circle and r1 refers to the radius of the inner circle.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 483
Science news on Phys.org
In general, that is the intersection of a line and a circle, and trigonometry should work.
Depending on the numbers, it might be possible to use some approximations (especially if r1 and r2 are not too different).

Thanks for the response. Given that the difference between r1 and r2 cannot be ignored, I get that the slope of line AC is the tan(θ1-θ2) [Taking point A as the origin]. The problem I run into is how would I determine the length of AC, or would that even matter?

I would solve that in a system where r2 is along one of the axes (and the center is the center of the coordinate system), the second part is tricky enough. Can you set up equations for the line and the triangle?

Thanks, I think I correctly solved the value of the angle. I calculated AC then calculated the angle OCA. I was then able to figure it out. Appreciate the help.

Last edited:

Related to Index of Refraction Through a Cylindrical Tube

1. What is the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material can bend or refract light. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

2. How is the index of refraction measured?

The index of refraction can be measured using a spectrometer, which measures the angle of refraction of a beam of light passing through the material. It can also be calculated using Snell's law, which relates the angles of incidence and refraction to the indices of refraction of the two materials involved.

3. What is a cylindrical tube?

A cylindrical tube is a hollow, cylindrical structure with a circular cross-section. It is often used in experiments involving fluids or gases, as its shape allows for easy flow and measurement.

4. Why is the index of refraction through a cylindrical tube important?

The index of refraction through a cylindrical tube is important because it can affect the way light passes through the tube. This can have implications for various experiments and applications, such as determining the concentration of a substance in the tube.

5. How does the index of refraction change in a cylindrical tube?

The index of refraction can change in a cylindrical tube due to the material of the tube or any substances contained within it. It can also change depending on the temperature and pressure of the contents of the tube. In general, the index of refraction is higher in denser materials and decreases as the temperature and pressure increase.