Independent variable question i'm not getting

In summary, during an investigation to determine and compare the heat of combustion of three different liquid alkanols, A is the independent variable being studied while B and C are considered as free parameters that should not affect the results. However, both B and C indirectly influence the outcome, as changing the amount of water used for heating would require a corresponding change in the amount of fuel used. This indicates that B and C are dependent variables. If more clarification is needed, please ask.
victorhugo
In the future please post this type of questions in the homework section, using the template.
111111_VARIABLE.png

I know that D is definitely a dependent variable, but I don't see how the others are dependent on anything else... The correct answer is A btw.
Please explain to me how B and C are dependent variables considering the investigation is to "determine and compare the heat of combustion of three different liquid alkanols."

Physics news on Phys.org
A is the independent variable you want to study. B and C are free parameters in your experiment but they do not (or should not) influence the result.

Both B and C point to the same direction but we want to find the heat energy in Kj/mol of the alkanols...changing the amount of water to be heated would mean we would need change the amount of of the fuel this shows that the two variables are dependent on each other.If you want further clarification just ask.

Related to Independent variable question i'm not getting

1. What is an independent variable?

An independent variable is a variable that is manipulated or changed by the researcher in an experiment. It is the variable that is being tested to see if it has an effect on the dependent variable.

2. How is an independent variable different from a dependent variable?

An independent variable is the variable that is being manipulated in an experiment, while a dependent variable is the variable that is being measured and affected by the independent variable. The dependent variable is dependent on the changes made to the independent variable.

3. How do I identify the independent variable in an experiment?

The independent variable is usually the variable that the researcher controls or changes in an experiment. It is the variable that is being tested to see if it has an effect on the dependent variable. Look for the factor that is being changed or manipulated by the researcher.

4. What is the purpose of an independent variable in an experiment?

The purpose of an independent variable is to determine whether it has an effect on the dependent variable. By manipulating the independent variable, the researcher can observe and measure the changes in the dependent variable, and determine if there is a cause and effect relationship between the two.

5. What are some examples of independent variables?

Examples of independent variables include time, temperature, amount of light, dosage of a drug, type of fertilizer, or frequency of exercise. These variables can be manipulated by the researcher to observe the effects on the dependent variable.