Independent Process Probability distribution

In summary: The x integral should be 10 to 10.25. I got 0.0481.you are right, but now I get 0.0962 which according to above answer is still wrong, I am not sure whyIt looks like a factor of 2. Write out the steps of your solution. It might be missing in one of your steps or I might have it,...
carl123
A manufacturer has designed a process to produce pipes that are 10 feet long. The distribution of the pipe length, however, is actually Uniform on the interval 10 feet to 10.57 feet. Assume that the lengths of individual pipes produced by the process are independent. Let X and Y represent the lengths of two different pipes produced by the process.

What is the probability that the second pipe (with length Y) is more than 0.32 feet longer than the first pipe (with length X)? Give your answer to four decimal places. Hint: Do not use calculus to get your answer.

My work so far:

P{(Y-X) > 0.32} = P{Y>X + 0.32}

∫ (from 10 to 10.57) ∫ (from x+0.32 to 10.57) (1/0.57^2) dxdy

= 0.0614

(It says this is the wrong answer, but i can't figure out why it is)

Physics news on Phys.org
carl123 said:
A manufacturer has designed a process to produce pipes that are 10 feet long. The distribution of the pipe length, however, is actually Uniform on the interval 10 feet to 10.57 feet. Assume that the lengths of individual pipes produced by the process are independent. Let X and Y represent the lengths of two different pipes produced by the process.

What is the probability that the second pipe (with length Y) is more than 0.32 feet longer than the first pipe (with length X)? Give your answer to four decimal places. Hint: Do not use calculus to get your answer.

My work so far:

= 0.0614

Think geometrically: the "sample space" is a square of whose sides are of length 0.57. The portion of the region y > x + .32 inside the square is a triangle whose sides you can easily work out. If you know the triangle's area, how would you then get the probability?

The portion of the region y > x + .32 inside the square is a triangle whose sides you can easily work out. If you know the triangle's area, how would you then get the probability?

Thanks for your reply but why is there a need to find the area of a triangle?

carl123 said:
Thanks for your reply but why is there a need to find the area of a triangle?

I cannot answer that without essentially doing your homework for you.

According to my own estimation the answr is 0.582, but is late and I feel lazy. I could be wrong in my answer but I am almost sure that 0.0614 is too low for the probability of the problem. Sorry, maybe tomorrow I can come and complete the answer

andres_porras said:
According to my own estimation the answr is 0.582, but is late and I feel lazy. I could be wrong in my answer but I am almost sure that 0.0614 is too low for the probability of the problem. Sorry, maybe tomorrow I can come and complete the answer

The answer is certainly less than 0 because the prob is less than P[X>Y] = 0.5. Indeed, the prob is less than P[X>10.32]P[Y<(10.57-.32)] < 1/4. If I were going to do this, I'd draw an XY diagram with the proper region shaded. That would show me how to set up the integral.

Hornbein said:
The answer is certainly less than 0 because the prob is less than P[X>Y] = 0.5. Indeed, the prob is less than P[X>10.32]P[Y<(10.57-.32)] < 1/4. If I were going to do this, I'd draw an XY diagram with the proper region shaded. That would show me how to set up the integral.
The answer is less than 0.5 I meant to say.

carl123 said:

My work so far:

= 0.0614

The x integral should be 10 to 10.25. I got 0.0481.

you are right, but now I get 0.0962 which according to above answer is still wrong, I am not sure why

It looks like a factor of 2. Write out the steps of your solution. It might be missing in one of your steps or I might have it, when I shouldn't.

andres_porras said:
you are right, but now I get 0.0962 which according to above answer is still wrong, I am not sure why

This answer is correct. The region {X-Y>0.32} is a triangle whose vertices are at A = (10.32,10), B = (10.57,10) and C = (10.57, 10.25), and whose area is A(triangle) = (1/2)*(.25)^2. The sample space is a square with corners at (10,10), (10,10.57), (10.57,10), 10.57, 10.57) and whose area is A(square) = (0.57)^2. The probability = p = A(triangle)/A(square) = 0.09618344106 .

This makes sense, because the sides of the triangle are a bit less than 1/2 the sides of the square, so the area of the triangle will be a bit less than 1/8 of the square's area---that is, the probability will be a bit less than 1/8 = 0.125.

Last edited:

Related to Independent Process Probability distribution

1. What is an independent process probability distribution?

An independent process probability distribution is a mathematical representation of the probability of various outcomes occurring independently in a given process. It is used to model random events or processes that are not affected by any previous events or outcomes.

2. How is an independent process different from a dependent process?

An independent process is one in which the outcome of each event or trial is not influenced by any previous event. In contrast, a dependent process is one in which the outcome of one event is affected by the outcome of a previous event.

3. What are some common examples of independent processes?

Some common examples of independent processes include coin tosses, rolling dice, and drawing cards from a shuffled deck. In each of these cases, the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the next event.

4. How is an independent process probability distribution calculated?

The calculation of an independent process probability distribution involves determining the probability of each possible outcome and adding them together. This can be done using mathematical formulas or by creating a probability distribution table.

5. Why is the concept of independent process probability distribution important?

The concept of independent process probability distribution is important in many fields, including statistics, finance, and science. It allows us to make predictions and decisions based on the likelihood of certain outcomes occurring in a given process. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding the principles of randomness and probability.