Ducks Quack and Echoes: British Study Confirms

• Thread starter Phobos
  • Start date
In summary, a British study has confirmed that a duck's quack does indeed echo, debunking the urban myth that it does not. The study involved recording a duck's quack in a special chamber with no sound reflections, then in a reverberation chamber with cathedral-like acoustics. This proved that a duck's quack can produce an echo, but it may not be as noticeable as other sounds. The study also included simulations of a duck quacking in different settings, such as the Royal Albert Hall and flying past a cliff face. Some have raised questions about the methods used in the study, but the overall conclusion remains that a duck's quack can echo.
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
QUACK...quack quack

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/science/09/08/duck.quack/index.html

A British study has debunked an urban myth -- that a duck's quack does not echo. ...The tests revealed that a duck's quack definitely echoes, just like any other sound, but perhaps not as noticeably.

Biology news on Phys.org
...quacked me up!
I love the duck at the mic shot.

I'm sorry, I confused about what's
been debunked here. Is it still
true that in space no one can hear
you quack?

I love the duck at the mic shot.
Me too. :smile:

My question is; will that duck float?

---if it quacks like a duck, it's probably an echo!

Originally posted by BoulderHead
Me too. :smile:

My question is; will that duck float?

And if it does, is it a witch?

We need some conspiracy-theorists in here; this thing stinks of an international cover-up!

Seriously though, what do they mean by,
...by first recording Daisy's quack in a special chamber with jagged surfaces that produces no sound reflections.

She was then moved to a reverberation chamber with cathedral-like acoustics before the data was used to create simulations of Daisy performing at the Royal Albert Hall and quacking as she flew past a cliff face...

?

Did they actually record the duck in the reverb chamber, or just play the recording of the duck, thus proving that there speakers produce an echo in a reverb chamber?

Originally posted by LURCH
We need some conspiracy-theorists in here; this thing stinks of an international cover-up!

Seriously though, what do they mean by,
?

Did they actually record the duck in the reverb chamber, or just play the recording of the duck, thus proving that there speakers produce an echo in a reverb chamber?

So you really think that they're ducking the issue?

Last edited:
Originally posted by radagast
And if it does, is it a witch?

LOL! Long live Monty Python!

1. Why do ducks quack?

Ducks quack as a form of communication with other ducks. It can signal danger, attract a mate, or simply express emotions.

2. Do all ducks quack?

No, not all ducks quack. Some species, such as the Muscovy duck, make a hissing sound instead of a quack.

3. Can a duck's quack echo?

Yes, a duck's quack can echo. However, it is not as loud or noticeable as other sounds due to the lower frequency of a duck's quack.

4. What does the British study confirm about ducks quacking and echoes?

The British study confirmed that a duck's quack does indeed produce an echo, contrary to a popular myth that it does not. The study also found that the echo can be heard up to 30 meters away.

5. How do ducks hear their own quack and echo?

Ducks have a special ear structure that allows them to hear both their own quack and the echo. The sound waves enter through the duck's ear and travel to a specialized cavity that amplifies the sound, allowing the duck to hear even faint echoes.