Independent elements of matrices?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "independent elements" in the context of algebraic independence in a symmetrical and antisymmetrical matrix, specifically in the equations for Ar and Ai. It is mentioned that the elements above and below the diagonal are interdependent, but the diagonal elements of Ai are always zero. It is clarified that "not free" means that the diagonal elements cannot take on any value, while "them" refers to the elements below the diagonal. The conversation also addresses the fact that the diagonal elements must be zero in order for the equations to work due to the definition of antisymmetry.
perplexabot
Gold Member
Hey all. I am currently reading an article and there is a paragraph that I am having a hard time understand. This is what the paragraph says:

"Since Ar = Arτ and Ai = -Aiτ, we know that only the lower triangular (including the diagonal) elements of Ar are independent and only the strictly lower triangular (excluding the diagonal) elements of Ai are independent."

I don't exactly know what "independent elements" means in this case.

Are we talking about algebraic independence (because linear independence makes no sense to me in this case)? If yes, can someone please provide some insight into how it applies in this case? I read about algebraic independence on wiki, so I do have a general picture of what it is.

If you would like to refer to the article, here it is: http://www.ee.ucr.edu/~yhua/MILCOM_2013_Reprint.pdf
The paragraph is located under equation 9 of page 4 of the pdf.

Thank you PF.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If Ar and Ai have been derived by a process that forced them to be symetric and antisymetric, then Ar(i,j) ≡ Ar(j,i). for all (i,j) So once the elements above the diagonal are given, the elements below the diagonal are known. Same for the antisymetric matrix Ai, where Ai(i,j) ≡ -Ai(j,i) for all (i,l). For Ai we also know that Ai(i,i) ≡ 0.

So that gives a lot of equations that Ar and Ai must satisfy.

Likes perplexabot
FactChecker said:
If Ar and Ai have been derived by a process that forced them to be symetric and antisymetric, then Ar(i,j) ≡ Ar(j,i). for all (i,j) So once the elements above the diagonal are given, the elements below the diagonal are known. Same for the antisymetric matrix Ai, where Ai(i,j) ≡ -Ai(j,i) for all (i,l). For Ai we also know that Ai(i,i) ≡ 0.

So that gives a lot of equations that Ar and Ai must satisfy.

OK, I think I get what you mean. So they are using less elements in order to describe the same set of equation(s). I wonder why the diagonal isn't included for Ai?

So this "independent" is just the everyday English definition, right?

perplexabot said:
OK, I think I get what you mean. So they are using less elements in order to describe the same set of equation(s). I wonder why the diagonal isn't included for Ai?
Because Ai(j,j) = -Ai(j,j) we know that Ai(j,j) =0. So the diagonal elements are not free.

So this "independent" is just the everyday English definition, right?
It also has the mathematical meaning. There are no equations forcing a relationship between them. They are all mathematically independent of each other.

Likes perplexabot
Thank you for the quick responses and easy to understand explanation.

FactChecker said:
Because Ai(j,j) = -Ai(j,j) we know that Ai(j,j) =0. So the diagonal elements are not free.
I should have figured out that the diagonals are zeros, silly me (i didn't see it in your first post either). Thank you for that. Not exactly sure what you mean by "not free" tho?

FactChecker said:
There are no equations forcing a relationship between them.
What is meant by "them" here?

Apologies for my many questions, hopefully you can be patient with me.

I also have a question in this same article but about something different. You think I should open a new thread?

EDIT: I think I get why the diagonal pf Ai isn't included now. Since it is zero it really doesn't contribute to the equations, is this right?

Last edited:
perplexabot said:
Not exactly sure what you mean by "not free" tho?
(regarding the diagonal elements of Ai) Maybe I need to be more careful in my terminology. I meant that you can not assign any value you want to them. They must be 0.
What is meant by "them" here?
(regarding the elements below the diagonal) All the elements below the diagonal can take any value without any relationship to the other elements below the diagonal.
EDIT: I think I get why the diagonal pf Ai isn't included now. Since it is zero it really doesn't contribute to the equations, is this right?
The diagonal elements must be 0 for the equations to work. So they "contribute" in that sense. The definition of antisymetric forces the diagonal elements to be 0.

Likes perplexabot
I got it! Thank you!

Related to Independent elements of matrices?

What are independent elements of matrices?

Independent elements of matrices refer to the individual numbers or variables within a matrix that do not have a linear relationship with each other. This means that changing the value of one element does not affect the values of other elements in the matrix.

How do you determine if elements in a matrix are independent?

To determine if elements in a matrix are independent, we can use the determinant of the matrix. If the determinant is non-zero, then the elements are independent. If the determinant is zero, then the elements are dependent.

Why are independent elements important in matrices?

Independent elements are important in matrices because they allow us to perform operations on the matrix, such as finding the inverse or solving equations, without encountering any errors. They also allow us to analyze the matrix and make accurate conclusions about its properties.

What is the relationship between independent elements and linear independence?

Independent elements and linear independence are closely related concepts. If the elements in a matrix are independent, then the matrix is said to have linear independence. Similarly, if a matrix has linear independence, then its elements are independent.

Can a matrix have both independent and dependent elements?

No, a matrix cannot have both independent and dependent elements. The elements in a matrix must either all be independent or all be dependent. If a matrix has at least one independent element, then all other elements must also be independent.