Off Topic: What is Considered Off Topic?

• Thread starter Andy
  • Start date
In summary: Any posts that are not directly related to the conversation at hand, or are not directly about physics.
Andy
"Any off-topic posts will be deleted or moved to an approprite forum as per administrator & moderator discretion."

I am not argueing with this, but i would like to know what is classified as off topic for future reference.

Physics news on Phys.org
??

Hummm, reading the rules "might not be" a "waste of time" after all, hummmmmmm.....

https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/guidelines.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting, still would like to know what is meant by off topic.

Originally posted by Andy
interesting, still would like to know what is meant by off topic.

Might I use an example? If I were to have a thread on Quantum Mechanics, then it would be most "off-topic" for someone to post "Elizabeth Hurley's hot!". Also, if I were to start a thread on (for example) consciousness - in the Philosophy section - and we were to have a discussion going on about the nature of consciousness, and then someone starts posting Scriptures about resurrection, these would be deleted.

If you want an example that has actually happened before, think of the time when the "Logic" thread (at least, I think it was the "Logic" thread) was side-tracked for like four pages, with Lifegazer's approach to Relativity. These posts (the ones with reference to Relativity and Lifegazer's viewpoint) were moved into a thread of their own, and deleted from the "Logic" thread.

Does that help at all?

Yea thanks for that mentat, i was thinking along those lines i was wanting to know how some of my other posts have been off topic but i can't remember what they where in the first place.

Elizabeth Hurley's hot

i think this thread is in the wrong place...it may need to be moved to the feedback forum...

GW sponge.

I want to learn philosophy!

if I were to start a thread on (for example) consciousness - in the Philosophy section - and we were to have a discussion going on about the nature of consciousness,
Philosophy is fun, isn't it! I always see words like consciousness, free will, determinism, etc in the philosophy forum. Can someone explain these terms for me? Thanks.

i can't quite tell if this is a joke or not, KL Kam. if not i'd be happy to, but i don't want to embarrass myself if it is.

I think he must be joking.

It's an example to show what is off-topic.

apples are green. but sometimes they are red. avoid the orange ones.

OH **** what's wrong with the Orange ones?

they sink battleships

i think this thread should be moved back to general discussion, especially if it goes where i think its goin

Originally posted by cmdr_sponge
i think this thread should be moved back to general discussion, especially if it goes where i think its goin

You mean going off topic?!?

to go to a different topic altogether, isn't it good that we have such a diverse community of members here at Physicsforums i can remember when i first started using this website and it was mostly about the science back then and the topics didnt tend to go this far astray from the origional post.

I am not argueing with this, but i would like to know what is classified as off topic for future reference.

Ex: if you are in a thread dedicated to alber einstein, you should not post a reply about the revolutionary war.

i think i know what they mean by Off topic.

1. What is considered off topic in scientific discussions?

In scientific discussions, off topic refers to any subject or topic that is not directly related to the current research or study being discussed. This can include personal opinions, unrelated anecdotes, or discussions that do not contribute to the scientific discourse.

2. Why is staying on topic important in scientific discussions?

Staying on topic is important in scientific discussions because it allows for a focused and productive conversation. By keeping the discussion related to the research or study at hand, participants can exchange valuable insights and ideas that can contribute to the advancement of science.

3. How can one avoid going off topic in scientific discussions?

To avoid going off topic in scientific discussions, it is important to stay focused on the main research question or topic. This can be achieved by setting discussion guidelines or having a designated moderator to keep the conversation on track. Additionally, individuals should avoid introducing personal opinions or unrelated anecdotes into the discussion.

4. Are there any benefits to discussing off topic subjects in scientific discussions?

In some cases, discussing off topic subjects in scientific discussions can lead to new ideas or perspectives that may contribute to the research. However, it is important to ensure that these discussions do not overtake the main topic and that they remain relevant to the overall purpose of the conversation.

5. How can we redirect a discussion back to the main topic if it goes off track?

If a discussion goes off track, it is important to politely redirect the conversation back to the main topic. This can be done by acknowledging the off topic comment and then transitioning back to the main topic. For instance, you can say "That's an interesting point, but let's get back to discussing our research on..."