Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

indefinite integral

paulmdrdo

May 13, 2013
how would start solving this

$\displaystyle\int\frac{dy}{1+e^y}$

soroban

Feb 2, 2012
Hello, paulmdrdo!

[tex]\displaystyle \int\frac{dy}{1+e^y}[/tex]

Divide numerator and denominator by [tex]e^y.[/tex]

We have: .[tex]\displaystyle \int \frac{e^{-y}dy}{e^{-y}+1} [/tex]

Let [tex]u \,=\,e^{-y}+1 \quad\Rightarrow\quad du \,=\,\text{-}e^{-y}dy \quad\Rightarrow\quad e^{-y}dy \,=\,\text{-}du[/tex]

Substitute: .[tex]\displaystyle \int \frac{-du}{u} \:=\:-\int\frac{du}{u} \:=\:-\ln|u|+C [/tex]

Back-substitute: .[tex]-\ln(e^{-y}+1) + C[/tex]

paulmdrdo

May 13, 2013
how did you know that you have to divide the numerator and denominator by e^y?

what if we have

$\displaystyle\int\frac{e^2x}{1+e^x}dx$

Last edited:

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
how would start solving this

$\displaystyle\int\frac{dy}{1+e^y}$
Alternatively, MULTIPLY top and bottom by [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} e^y \end{align*}[/tex], giving

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{e^y\,dy}{e^y + \left( e^y \right) ^2}} \end{align*}[/tex]

which gives a form that a very simple substitution of [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = e^y \implies du = e^y\,dy \end{align*}[/tex] should be able to handle.

How did we know to do this? Well, since there's an [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*}e^y \end{align*}[/tex] function, and we know that it's its own derivative, that means if we were to make any substitution using it, it also needs to appear as a factor, as when we do an integration by substitution, the derivative of the function we are substituting needs to be a factor of the entire function being integrated.

- - - Updated - - -

how did you know that you have to divide the numerator and denominator by e^y?

what if we have

$\displaystyle\int\frac{e^2x}{1+e^x}dx$
Am I correct in assuming that you meant [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{e^{2x}}{1 + e^x}\,dx} \end{align*}[/tex]?

paulmdrdo

May 13, 2013
Alternatively, MULTIPLY top and bottom by [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} e^y \end{align*}[/tex], giving

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{e^y\,dy}{e^y + \left( e^y \right) ^2}} \end{align*}[/tex]

which gives a form that a very simple substitution of [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = e^y \implies du = e^y\,dy \end{align*}[/tex] should be able to handle.

How did we know to do this? Well, since there's an [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*}e^y \end{align*}[/tex] function, and we know that it's its own derivative, that means if we were to make any substitution using it, it also needs to appear as a factor, as when we do an integration by substitution, the derivative of the function we are substituting needs to be a factor of the entire function being integrated.

- - - Updated - - -

Am I correct in assuming that you meant [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{e^{2x}}{1 + e^x}\,dx} \end{align*}[/tex]?
yes.sorry for typo error!

Prove It

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
yes.sorry for typo error!
Here you don't need to do any manipulation to the integral at all, notice that

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \frac{e^{2x}}{1 + e^x} \,dx} &= \int{ \frac{ \left( e^x \right) ^2}{1 + e^x} \, dx} \\ &= \int{ \frac{ e^x }{1 + e^x} \cdot e^x\,dx } \end{align*}[/tex]

A substitution [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = 1 + e^x \end{align*}[/tex] is appropriate because the derivative [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} du = e^x\, dx \end{align*}[/tex] is already a factor...

paulmdrdo

May 13, 2013

i tried to solve the problem in my 1st op using prove it's method

here is what i do

$\displaystyle\int\frac{dy}{1+e^y}$ i multiplied the integrand by e^y i get $\displaystyle\int\frac{e^y}{e^y+e^{2y}}dy$

now using substitution $ u=e^y;\,du=e^ydy$ i get $\displaystyle\int\frac{du}{u(u+1)}$

doing fraction decomposition i have

$\displaystyle\frac{1}{u(u+1)}=\frac{A}{u}+\frac{B}{u+1}$

multiplying both sides by $u(u+1)$ i get

$\displaystyle 1=A(u+1)+B(u)$

the values of A and B are A= 1 ;B=-1

then i have

$\displaystyle\int\left(\frac{1}{u}-\frac{1}{u+1}\right)du$

integrating the terms of my integrand i get

$\displaystyle ln|u|-ln|u+1|+C$

back substitute $ln|e^y|-ln|e^y+1|+C$

using properties of ln in my answer i get

$\displaystyle ln\left(\frac{e^y}{e^y+1}\right)+C$

but my answer here iS not the same using soroban's method. can you pin point my mistake here. thanks!

and i noticed that if i rearrange my answer and factor out the negative i would get the right answer like,

$\displaystyle (-ln|e^y+1|+ln|e^y|)=-(ln|e^y+1|-ln|e^y|)=-ln|\frac{e^y+1}{e^y}|=-ln|e^{-y}+1|$

why do you think i got different answers? thanks!

Last edited:

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Using the properties of logs, we may transform the form given by soroban into that which you found:

\(\displaystyle -\ln\left(e^{-y}+1 \right)+C=-\ln\left(\frac{e^y+1}{e^y} \right)+C=\ln\left(\frac{e^y}{e^y+1} \right)+C\)

paulmdrdo

May 13, 2013
Using the properties of logs, we may transform the form given by soroban into that which you found:

\(\displaystyle -\ln\left(e^{-y}+1 \right)+C=-\ln\left(\frac{e^y+1}{e^y} \right)+C=-\ln\left(\frac{e^y}{e^y+1} \right)+C\)
mark my answer is positive $\displaystyle ln\left(\frac{e^y}{e^y+1}\right)+C$ not $\displaystyle -ln\left(\frac{e^y}{e^y+1}\right)+C$ why is that?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
mark my answer is positive $\displaystyle ln\left(\frac{e^y}{e^y+1}\right)+C$ not $\displaystyle -ln\left(\frac{e^y}{e^y+1}\right)+C$ why is that?
I have edited my post above...I should have removed the negative sign when I inverted the argument of the log function...

paulmdrdo

May 13, 2013
MANY THANKS TO ALL OF YOU!(Sun)(Clapping):)