Indecomposable modules - example from Berrick and Keating

In summary: K}^2$ as a sum of an element in $L$ and an element of $N(x)$, we must show this sum is uniquely determined ... ..."Do you mean that we must show that the sum of an element in $L$ and an element of $N(x)$ is unique ... or that both $L$ and $N(x)$ are unique ... or that the intersection of $L$ and $N(x)$ is unique ... or something else ...Thanks again Deveno ... really appreciate your help ...In summary, the conversation discusses a specific example (Example 2.1.2) from the book "An Introduction to Rings
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading An Introduction to Rings and Modules With K-Theory in View by A.J. Berrick and M.E. Keating (B&K).

At present I am focussed on Chapter 2: Direct Sums and Short Exact Sequences.

Example 2.1.2 (i) on pages 38-39 reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2957
View attachment 2958In the above text B&K write:

" ... ... Clearly K is indecomposable as a module ... "

Question 1:

Can someone please explain exactly why this is the case? How can we demonstrate rigorously that K is indecomposable?

Question 2:

I have attempted to show that \(\displaystyle L \oplus N(x) = K^2\).

Can someone please critique my effort ... is it basically OK ...

Proof is as follows:

Let \(\displaystyle a \in L \oplus N(x)\)

Then \(\displaystyle a = l_1 + n_1 \)

\(\displaystyle = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1\\0\end{array}\right) k_1 + \left(\begin{array}{cc}x\\1\end{array}\right) k_2 \) where \(\displaystyle k_1, k_2 \in K\)

\(\displaystyle = \left(\begin{array}{cc}k_1\\0\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{cc}{k_2 x} \\k_2\end{array}\right)\)

\(\displaystyle = \left(\begin{array}{cc}{k_1 + k_2 x}\\k_2\end{array}\right) \in K^2 \)

Now let \(\displaystyle a \in K^2\); that is \(\displaystyle a = \left(\begin{array}{cc}{k_1}\\k_2\end{array}\right)\) for some \(\displaystyle k_1, k_2 \in K \)

Now take \(\displaystyle k_1 = c_1 + k_2 x \) where \(\displaystyle k_1, c_1, k_2\) and \(\displaystyle x \in K\). (This is permissible and possible since \(\displaystyle K\) is a field; \(\displaystyle c_1\), of course, may be negative)

Then \(\displaystyle a = \left(\begin{array}{cc}{c_1 + k_2 x }\\k_2\end{array}\right)\)

Therefore \(\displaystyle a = \left(\begin{array}{cc}{c_1 }\\0\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{cc}{ k_2 x }\\k_2\end{array}\right) \)

Therefore \(\displaystyle a = \left(\begin{array}{cc}{1 }\\0\end{array}\right) c_1 + \left(\begin{array}{cc}{ x }\\1\end{array}\right) k_2 \in L \oplus N(x) \)

Thus we conclude that \(\displaystyle L \oplus N(x) = K^2\).

Can someone please confirm that this is OK ... or alternatively amend/critique the argument ...

Hope someone can help.

Peter

Notes: B&K definitions and notation

B&K's definition of the internal direct sum is as follows:

View attachment 2959
View attachment 2960

B&K then point out that the definition of internal direct sum can be restated as follows:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2961

Finally, just before the example above, B&K define decomposable module, complement and indecomposable module as follows:

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2962

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I would write:

Let $c = k_1 - k_2x$, since $k_1,k_2,x$ are given.

You should recognize this as essentially the same example I gave in another thread, and expresses the same idea: direct sum decompositions are not unique.

So what one looks for, is "what invariants" can we find in direct sum decompositions. In this case, we have "essentially two kinds" of direct sum decompositons, corresponding to the following partitions of 2 (the dimension of $\mathcal{K}^2$):

2 = 2 + 0 <---this doesn't represent a "true" decomposition, one factor is trivial
2 = 1 + 1

Either one summand is a trivial subspace, or we have two subspaces of dimension one.

The condition (DS2) in this limited example, means that:

$\begin{pmatrix}k_1\\k_2 \end{pmatrix} \in L \cap N(x) \implies k_1 = k_2 = 0$.

That we must have $k_2 = 0$ is easy to see from membership in $L$. But if:

$\begin{pmatrix}k_1\\0 \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}cx\\c\end{pmatrix}$

it is evident that $c = 0$, so $k_1 = 0x = 0$.

I point this out because you have shown that $\mathcal{K}^2 = L + N(x)$, and not that the sum is direct (it is not merely sufficient to show we can form any element of $\mathcal{K}^2$ as a sum of an element in $L$ and an element of $N(x)$, we must show this sum is uniquely determined).

Other than that, what you have is OK.

To answer your first question:

Suppose that $\mathcal{K} = M \oplus N$. Assume $M$ is non-trivial (non-zero), so we have $m \neq 0 \in M$.

Now $m \in \mathcal{K}$ since $M$ is a sub-module of $\mathcal{K}$. Since $\mathcal{K}$ is a field, we have:

$\dfrac{1}{m} \in \mathcal{K}$, and thus $\dfrac{1}{m}\cdot m = 1_{\mathcal{K}} \in M$ (since $M$ is a $\mathcal{K}$-module).

It thus follows that for any $k \in \mathcal{K}$, we have $k = k\cdot 1_{\mathcal{K}} \in M$.

Hence $M = \mathcal{K}$.

Since our sum is direct: $M \cap N = \{0_{\mathcal{K}}\} = \mathcal{K} \cap N = N$, so that $N$ is the 0-submodule.

Deveno said:
Personally, I would write:

Let $c = k_1 - k_2x$, since $k_1,k_2,x$ are given.

You should recognize this as essentially the same example I gave in another thread, and expresses the same idea: direct sum decompositions are not unique.

So what one looks for, is "what invariants" can we find in direct sum decompositions. In this case, we have "essentially two kinds" of direct sum decompositons, corresponding to the following partitions of 2 (the dimension of $\mathcal{K}^2$):

2 = 2 + 0 <---this doesn't represent a "true" decomposition, one factor is trivial
2 = 1 + 1

Either one summand is a trivial subspace, or we have two subspaces of dimension one.

The condition (DS2) in this limited example, means that:

I point this out because you have shown that $\mathcal{K}^2 = L + N(x)$, and not that the sum is direct (it is not merely sufficient to show we can form any element of $\mathcal{K}^2$ as a sum of an element in $L$ and an element of $N(x)$, we must show this sum is uniquely determined).

Other than that, what you have is OK.

To answer your first question:

Suppose that $\mathcal{K} = M \oplus N$. Assume $M$ is non-trivial (non-zero), so we have $m \neq 0 \in M$.

Now $m \in \mathcal{K}$ since $M$ is a sub-module of $\mathcal{K}$. Since $\mathcal{K}$ is a field, we have:

$\dfrac{1}{m} \in \mathcal{K}$, and thus $\dfrac{1}{m}\cdot m = 1_{\mathcal{K}} \in M$ (since $M$ is a $\mathcal{K}$-module).

It thus follows that for any $k \in \mathcal{K}$, we have $k = k\cdot 1_{\mathcal{K}} \in M$.

Hence $M = \mathcal{K}$.

Since our sum is direct: $M \cap N = \{0_{\mathcal{K}}\} = \mathcal{K} \cap N = N$, so that $N$ is the 0-submodule.

Thanks Deveno ... very helpful ...

You write:

" ... ... You should recognize this as essentially the same example I gave in another thread, and expresses the same idea: direct sum decompositions are not unique. ... ..."

Indeed ... how myopic of me! ... yes, see that now ... it is a great example as it does show clearly that direct sums are not unique! ...

Now just a clarification:

You write:

" ... ... The condition (DS2) in this limited example, means that:

I point this out because you have shown that $\mathcal{K}^2 = L + N(x)$, and not that the sum is direct (it is not merely sufficient to show we can form any element of $\mathcal{K}^2$ as a sum of an element in $L$ and an element of $N(x)$, we must show this sum is uniquely determined). .. ... "

... well yes ... really missed a very important point there!

BUT ... you write as if ...

" ... ...
$\begin{pmatrix}k_1\\k_2 \end{pmatrix} \in L \cap N(x) \implies k_1 = k_2 = 0$ means that the sum of an element in L and an element in N(x) is uniquely determined ... but why exactly does this follow ...?

Can you help?

Peter

Ok, suppose we have for a vector space:

$V = \langle U,W\rangle = U+W = \{u+w: u\in U,w \in W\}$.

If $u+w = u'+w'$ with $u \neq u'$ or $w \neq w'$ (so the sum is not unique), we have:

$u - u' = w' - w$.

Since the LHS in in $U$, and the RHS is in $W$, and at least one side is not 0 (so both sides must be), we have:

$u - u' = w - w' \in U \cap W \neq \{0\}$.

On the other hand, if $U \cap W = \{0\}$, then for any two sums for which:

$u + w = u' + w'$, we have $u - u' = w - w' = 0$, so that $u = u'$ and $w = w'$.

I think this was addressed in another thread.

Deveno said:
Ok, suppose we have for a vector space:

$V = \langle U,W\rangle = U+W = \{u+w: u\in U,w \in W\}$.

If $u+w = u'+w'$ with $u \neq u'$ or $w \neq w'$ (so the sum is not unique), we have:

$u - u' = w' - w$.

Since the LHS in in $U$, and the RHS is in $W$, and at least one side is not 0 (so both sides must be), we have:

$u - u' = w - w' \in U \cap W \neq \{0\}$.

On the other hand, if $U \cap W = \{0\}$, then for any two sums for which:

$u + w = u' + w'$, we have $u - u' = w - w' = 0$, so that $u = u'$ and $w = w'$.

I think this was addressed in another thread.

Thanks Deveno ... your help has been extensive and is much appreciated ... just now working through all posts again! ... thanks to you and Euge, I now have a much clearer picture of direct sums and products ... but do need to review your posts again ...

Thanks so much ...

Peter

Related to Indecomposable modules - example from Berrick and Keating

1. What are indecomposable modules?

Indecomposable modules are modules that cannot be decomposed into a direct sum of two or more non-trivial submodules. This means that the module cannot be broken down into smaller pieces that are still modules themselves. Indecomposable modules are important in the study of algebraic structures, such as rings and groups, as they provide a way to understand the structure of a larger module.

2. Can you give an example of an indecomposable module?

One example of an indecomposable module is the cyclic group of order 5, denoted as C5. This group has only one non-trivial proper subgroup, which is the cyclic group of order 3, denoted as C3. C5 cannot be decomposed into a direct sum of C3 and another non-trivial subgroup, making it an indecomposable module.

3. How are indecomposable modules related to representation theory?

In representation theory, indecomposable modules play a crucial role in understanding the structure of a group or algebra. This is because every module over a given ring or group can be decomposed into a direct sum of indecomposable modules. By studying the indecomposable modules, we can gain insight into the structure of the larger module and the algebraic structure it is associated with.

4. Are all modules indecomposable?

No, not all modules are indecomposable. In fact, most modules are not indecomposable. For example, any free module with more than one generator can be decomposed into a direct sum of smaller free modules. Only certain types of modules, such as simple modules or cyclic modules, are indecomposable.

5. How are indecomposable modules used in algebraic topology?

In algebraic topology, indecomposable modules are used to study the homology and cohomology of topological spaces. The Berrick-Keating theorem, which is the main result of the paper "Indecomposable modules - example from Berrick and Keating", provides a way to determine the homology of a space by looking at the indecomposable modules in its cohomology.