Increment of capacitance of conductor

In summary, the electric field lines start from positive charges and end in negative ones. Assuming the upper plate is positive, and you integrate the electric field from from 0 to t, the electric field is negative.
Richardbryant

Homework Statement

A Sheet of conductor of thickness t and parallel faces of cross-sectional area >=A is inserted between the plates of the capacitor of a parallel plate conductor. Show that the capacitance increased by ΔC= ε0tA/d(d-t)

Homework Equations

σ,ε0,Δ

The Attempt at a Solution

Denote Co be the initial capacitance, C' be the final capacitance.
Formula used: C=Q/V E=σ/ε0
First,Co Q/Vo, Vo=- ∫E.ds (range from 0->d) , thus the result is -σd/ε0 , Co=-Qε0/σd
Similarly, Q/V' V= - ∫E.ds (range from 0->d-t) , thus the result is -σ(d-t)/ε0 , C'=-Qε0/σ(d-t)
By answer of the two equation ΔC= C'-Co=-Qε0/σ[1/(d-t)-1/d]=-Qε0t/σd(d-t)

after substituting Q=σA then ΔC=-Aε0t/σd(d-t)
As seen, my answer is differing from the books answer by a negative sign, can anyone tell me from which step(s) i proceed wrong, there for arrive to a wrong answer.
Secondly, would anyone offer mea physical explanation of inscribing a conductor which can increase the capacitance? ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I notice there something wrong when i post this thread, therefore i shall rewrite it starting from The attempt at a solution
First,Co Q/Vo, Vo=- ∫E.ds (range from 0->d) , thus the result is -σd/ε0 , Co=-Qε0/σd
Similarly, Q/V' V= - ∫E.ds (range from 0->d-t) , thus the result is -σ(d-t)/ε0 , C'=-Qε0/σ(d-t)

By subtraction and substituting Q=σA , the answer a get has a negative sign differ from solution.

I notice there something wrong when i post this thread, therefore i shall rewrite it starting from The attempt at a solution

Thus, substitute Q=σA and subtract the two answer I got, the solution I obtained is - ε0ta/d(d-t)

Which differ from the textbook by a negative sign.

Richardbryant said:

Thus, substitute Q=σA and subtract the two answer I got, the solution I obtained is - ε0ta/d(d-t)

Which differ from the textbook by a negative sign.
The capacitance is supposed to be a positive quantity.
The electric field lines start from positive charges and end in negative ones. Assuming the upper plate is positive, and you integrate the electric field from from 0 to t, what is the sign of E?
upload_2017-8-30_23-42-35.png

Related to Increment of capacitance of conductor

What is the definition of capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a conductor to store electrical charge when a voltage is applied to it.

How is capacitance measured?

Capacitance is measured in units called farads (F) and is typically represented by the symbol C. It can be measured using a capacitance meter or calculated by dividing the amount of charge stored on the conductor by the applied voltage.

What factors affect the capacitance of a conductor?

The capacitance of a conductor is affected by several factors, including the surface area of the conductor, the distance between the conductor and another object, and the material of the conductor. A larger surface area, smaller distance, and higher dielectric constant of the material will result in a higher capacitance.

How can the capacitance of a conductor be increased?

The capacitance of a conductor can be increased by increasing the surface area, decreasing the distance between the conductor and another object, and using a material with a higher dielectric constant. Placing a dielectric material, such as a capacitor, between the conductor and another object can also increase the capacitance.

What is the relationship between capacitance and voltage?

The capacitance of a conductor is directly proportional to the applied voltage. This means that as the voltage increases, the amount of charge that can be stored on the conductor also increases. However, the capacitance remains constant as long as the physical characteristics of the conductor do not change.