Increasing the speed of Barlow's wheel

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to increase the angular velocity of a Barlow's wheel experiment. Some suggestions include increasing the current, radius, and magnetic field strength, or decreasing friction. It also mentions that using an electro-magnet instead of a permanent magnet can result in a more rapid revolution due to the strength of the electromagnet. However, there is confusion about the relationship between increasing radius and angular velocity, with one equation suggesting an increase and another suggesting a decrease. The conversation ends with a request for clarification and help with solving the problem.
NooDota

Homework Statement

Hello, I have a problem about Barlow's wheel experiment with several questions. One of them is how to increase the angular velocity for the wheel.

I can either:

1. Increase the current
2. Increase the radius
3. Increase the strength of the magnetic field
4. Decrease friction

Are there any other ways to increase the speed?

Also, Wikipedia says that using an electro-magnet instead of a permanent magnet will cause more rapid revolution, I don't see why, can someone explain this?

"The points of the wheel, R, dip into mercury contained in a groove hollowed in the stand. A more rapid revolution will be obtained if a small electro-magnet be substituted for a steel magnet, as is shown in the cut. The electro-magnet is fixed to the stand, and included in the circuit with the spur-wheel, so that the current flows through them in succession. Hence the direction of the rotation will not be changed by reversing that of the current; since the polarity of the electromagnet will also be reversed."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlow's_wheel
2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure increasing the radius will increase angular velocity? Also, how do you increase the radius without increasing mass and therefore friction?
NooDota said:
Also, Wikipedia says that using an electro-magnet instead of a permanent magnet will cause more rapid revolution, I don't see why, can someone explain this?
Maybe the electromagnet is stronger.

Actually I don't know if it'll increase the angular velocity. It'll increase the force acting on the wheel, but I guess it'll also increase friction, I don't know which one would be stronger.

It's been sometime since I solved anything related to rotation, so any help is appreciated.

Also, dumb question.

F = I*r*B suggests that increasing r, would increase the force and thus the rotation, right?

But w =v/r suggests that increasing r, would decrease the angular velocity?

What am I doing wrong?

Torque is force multiplied with distance from the center (an exact treatment would need an integral), so doubling the radius gives four times the torque. The relation between force and angular velocity can be complicated.

Related to Increasing the speed of Barlow's wheel

1. How does increasing the speed of Barlow's wheel affect its efficiency?

Increasing the speed of Barlow's wheel can improve its efficiency by allowing it to generate more power and produce a stronger force.

2. Can increasing the speed of Barlow's wheel cause any negative effects?

Yes, increasing the speed of Barlow's wheel beyond its maximum limit can cause it to overheat and potentially damage the equipment.

3. What is the optimal speed for Barlow's wheel?

The optimal speed for Barlow's wheel depends on its size, material, and intended use. It is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines for the recommended speed range.

4. How can I increase the speed of Barlow's wheel?

The speed of Barlow's wheel can be increased by applying a stronger external force, using a more powerful motor, or reducing the friction between the wheel and its axis.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when increasing the speed of Barlow's wheel?

Yes, it is important to wear appropriate safety gear such as goggles and gloves when working with high-speed equipment. It is also crucial to regularly check for any wear and tear on the wheel and its components to prevent accidents.