Increasing the efficiency of a python code.

In summary, this function checks for duplicate values in a list. If there are any duplicates, the function returns True. If there are no duplicates, the function returns False.
adjacent
Gold Member
Here is a python function to check whether a given list or string contains duplicate values:
Code:
def has_duplicates(x):
	t = []
	for i in x:
		if i not in t:
			t.append(i)           
	if t != list(x):              
		return True
	else:
		return False

But I am sure this approach will be slow for large lists. Is there any other, faster way to do this?

Technology news on Phys.org
adjacent said:
Here is a python function to check whether a given list or string contains duplicate values:
Code:
def has_duplicates(x):
	t = []
	for i in x:
		if i not in t:
			t.append(i)           
	if t != list(x):              
		return True
	else:
		return False

But I am sure this approach will be slow for large lists. Is there any other, faster way to do this?

You could use something like this:

Code:
def has_duplicates(seq):
    return len(seq) != len(set(seq))

Likes 1 person
If Python has a simple-minded implementation of lists, that will take n/2 comparisons on average for each "i not in t" test, if the list has n elements. So the total time will be proportional to n2. You could check that out experimentally.

It might be faster to use a dictionary instead of a list. There is an OrderedDict that remembers the order you added the elements, if that ordering is important for some reason. That should give you a time roughly proportional to n.

Another idea would be to sort the lists first and then check for duplicates. The time to do that should be proportional to n log n.

The "best" option to choose depends on what the whole application needs to do, not necessarily on optimizing just one function.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
There are a zillion answers for this on stackoverflow. Integrand has a good solution if you are only interested in whether there are duplicates.

For the efficiency of the built-ins, see https://wiki.python.org/moin/TimeComplexity.
See also: https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonSpeed/PerformanceTips

To estimate the efficiency of your routine, think about the worst case scenario: two duplicates at the end of the list. "i not in t" looks simple, but each check requires a complete traversal of t (it's an O(n) operation). If n=len(x), there are (n-1) append calls and (n-1) * ( 1 + 2 + ... + n-1) comparisons. That's (n-1)*(n-1)/2*n comparisons. Our complexity is O(n**3). Ouch.

If we use a set for t instead of a list, and t.add(i) instead of append, then "i not in t" is O(1) instead of O(n), so the algorithm is O(n). For that matter, you don't need the if statement, just add() the value to the set, and duplicates are squashed for you. Then you can see that

Code:
t = set()
for i in x:
    t.add(i)
is the same as t = set(x), though set(x) is about twice as fast. Which is the method Integrand gave.

So...TIP: when using the "in" operator on a longish collection of items in an inner loop, convert the collection to a set first.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks guys. I haven't studied sets yet. I will try that method when I study it. :smile:

adjacent said:
Thanks guys. I haven't studied sets yet. I will try that method when I study it. :smile:

Try it with a dictionary, which is how one would have done it before Python had sets. The "in" operator is O(1) for dictionaries.

I have learned sets. It's exactly what I needed. No duplicate values :smile:

Related to Increasing the efficiency of a python code.

1. How can I measure the efficiency of my Python code?

To measure the efficiency of your Python code, you can use a tool called a profiler. This tool will analyze your code and provide metrics on how long each function or line of code takes to execute. This can help you identify areas where your code may be slow and in need of optimization.

2. What are some common techniques for improving the efficiency of Python code?

Some common techniques for improving the efficiency of Python code include: using built-in functions and libraries instead of writing your own, avoiding unnecessary loops and recursion, using data structures that are optimized for the task at hand, and avoiding excessive memory usage.

3. Is it better to optimize for speed or readability?

This ultimately depends on the specific project and its requirements. In general, it is recommended to prioritize readability over speed, as this can make your code easier to maintain and debug. However, if you are working on a project where performance is critical, then optimizing for speed may be necessary.

4. Are there any tools or libraries that can help with optimizing Python code?

Yes, there are several tools and libraries that can help with optimizing Python code. Some popular options include Numba, which can compile Python code to native machine code for faster execution, and Cython, which allows for the integration of C code into your Python program for improved performance.

5. How can I avoid common mistakes that can negatively impact the efficiency of my Python code?

To avoid common mistakes that can negatively impact the efficiency of your Python code, make sure to carefully analyze your algorithms and data structures before writing code, avoid unnecessary operations and data conversions, and regularly test and profile your code to identify and address any potential issues.