Increasing shaft speed with DC motor

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between torque and shaft speed in DC motors. It is mentioned that when a motor is connected to a rotating shaft through a 1:1 gearing, the speed of the shaft can be increased by adding the motor's speed to the current shaft speed. The amount of torque involved in this process is dependent on the torque generated by the motor, and can be calculated using the equation T = F*D, where T is torque, F is force, and D is distance.
yellowcoconut
Hi all,

First timer here

I would like to understand how to work out how torque is involved when increasing shaft speed using DC motors.
Say if a shaft is rotating at X rpm with an applied torque of T [N.m] and a DC motor is connected through a 1:1 gearing to connect the rotating shaft and motor output shaft.

If the motor is off both shafts would spin at X rpm. However what would happen if the motor was turned?
Would it simply be to add the motor shaft speed to the current shaft speed X? Where is the torque involved in this? Is it dependent on mass of the gear rings used and distance from motor because that's the only equation for torque i can relate T = F*D

thanks

edit for missing info

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
:Yes, the motor would increase the speed of the shaft from X rpm to (X + motor speed). The torque involved would depend on the amount of torque the motor is able to generate. If the motor is capable of generating a torque of T [N.m], then the total torque on the shaft would be T [N.m] + the existing torque on the shaft.

Related to Increasing shaft speed with DC motor

1. How can I increase the shaft speed of a DC motor?

To increase the shaft speed of a DC motor, you can increase the input voltage or decrease the load on the motor. This will cause the motor to spin faster. However, it is important to note that increasing the voltage beyond the motor's rated capacity can damage the motor.

2. Can I use a gear system to increase the shaft speed of a DC motor?

Yes, using a gear system is a common way to increase the shaft speed of a DC motor. By using a smaller gear on the motor's shaft and a larger gear on the load, the motor's speed can be increased while maintaining the same torque output.

3. Will increasing the shaft speed of a DC motor affect its torque output?

Yes, increasing the shaft speed of a DC motor will typically result in a decrease in its torque output. This is because the motor's power output is constant, and increasing the speed will decrease the amount of force it can produce.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect the shaft speed of a DC motor?

Yes, the type and quality of the motor's brushes, the type of load, and the condition of the motor's bearings can all affect the shaft speed of a DC motor. It is important to regularly maintain and replace these components to ensure optimal speed and performance.

5. Can I use a speed controller to increase the shaft speed of a DC motor?

Yes, a speed controller can be used to increase the shaft speed of a DC motor. By adjusting the voltage and current supplied to the motor, a speed controller can effectively control the motor's speed and torque output. However, it is important to use a speed controller that is compatible with the motor's specifications to avoid damaging the motor.