Increase the distance between plates of a capacitor in direct current

In summary, a condenser microphone uses a capacitor to store energy in sound waves and then uses current to discharge that energy. When the distance between the plates of the capacitor decreases, the current flow increases and builds a charge on the plates. The charge is then discharged back to the power supply when the distance between the plates is increased. This allows the microphone to keep track of the voltage of the power supply and use it to discharge the charge on the capacitor.
valeriy2222
Hi.

I've been studying in details how a microphone works. I've found a type of microphones where capacitor is used to record sound. The idea is simple. Increasing and decreasing the distance between the plates of a capacitor (sound waves) results in the changing capacitance. Being connected to DC (direct current) power supply, it creates oscillating current which is then recorded. There is a detail which is not well explained.

The charging current.
If a capacitor is connected to DC power supply, the current flows (from + to -) building a charge on the plates and after some time the capacitor voltage become equal to power supply voltage. After that, if we decrease the distance between the plates of the capacitor, the current will start flowing again (from + to -) thus continue building the charge. No problem with understanding.

The discharging current?
When we increase the distance between the plates, the charge on the plates wants to go back to the power supply. This time it wants to go from + to +. Here, I do not fully understand whether it's really going back (but where it can go otherwise?) or not. Does it override the voltage of the power supply? A battery instead of spending energy begins to be recharged?
Electrons on one of the plates have to leave it but the only way to go is the power supply - "+ to +", "- to -".

[PLAIN]http://www.ustudy.in/sites/default/files/images/condenser%20microphone.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Well,

I've found some websites which tell that if we apply higher voltage to a battery, then it's going to be recharged. That means that the charge on the plates of the conductor will be reduced by going through the battery, though, I think they use a more complex scheme to make the discharge current go through a different way.

Hi Valeriy. This is called a "condenser microphone" and the principle of operation is very straight forward.

The key relationship in a capacitor is that which connects charge and voltage,

[tex]Q = C V[/tex]

If the resistance in the circuit is reasonably large then the charge "Q" is not able to change quickly. As the separation of the plates varies however, then C varies, hence V must also vary so as to keep Q (approximately) constant.

Last edited:
I understand that.

My question was about where the charge (electrons) go when C decreases. It should go from the plates to ? where ? - back to the battery (or through it). That what was weird to me at first time. Now I know that batteries allow this.

valeriy2222 said:
I understand that.

My question was about where the charge (electrons) go when C decreases. It should go from the plates to ? where ? - back to the battery (or through it). That what was weird to me at first time. Now I know that batteries allow this.

The current is relatively small and is AC so it won't significantly alter the charge on the battery. If you're using something other than a battery for the bias voltage, say something that doesn't allow the current to reverse, then you'd simply place a larger valued capacitor (eg an electrolytic) in parallel with that supply.

Related to Increase the distance between plates of a capacitor in direct current

1. How does increasing the distance between plates affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

Increasing the distance between plates of a capacitor in direct current decreases the capacitance. This is because capacitance is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates.

2. Why is it important to increase the distance between plates in a capacitor?

Increasing the distance between plates in a capacitor is important in certain applications where a lower capacitance is desired. It can also help reduce the risk of arcing or breakdown of the dielectric material between the plates.

3. Does increasing the distance between plates affect the voltage rating of a capacitor?

No, increasing the distance between plates does not affect the voltage rating of a capacitor. The voltage rating is determined by the dielectric strength of the material between the plates, not the distance between them.

4. Can increasing the distance between plates improve the stability of a capacitor?

Yes, increasing the distance between plates can improve the stability of a capacitor by reducing the effects of parasitic capacitance and reducing the risk of arcing or breakdown. However, this may also result in a decrease in capacitance.

5. What is the maximum distance that can be increased between plates in a capacitor?

The maximum distance that can be increased between plates in a capacitor is limited by the physical size of the capacitor and the dielectric strength of the material. It is important to follow manufacturer guidelines and not exceed the recommended distance to avoid damaging the capacitor.