Increase Output Voltage of Solar Cells

In summary, for the project you are working on, you will need to connect three 6V 50mA solar cells in series to get an output voltage of approximately 18 volts (open circuit, no load). Make sure to connect the negative lead to the positive lead and repeat this for each cell, leaving you with one + lead and one - lead. If you still only get 6 volts, it could be due to incorrect polarities. Use a multimeter to identify the correct + and - wires for each cell and make sure they are connected in the right order.
Joe F
I am helping my son do a project. We would like to know how to increase the output voltage. For example we have three 6 volt 50ma cells and would like to make 18 volts

Engineering news on Phys.org
Connect them in series, just the same as you would connect "D" cell batteries in a multi-cell flashlight. Negative lead to positive lead, and so on. You end up with one + lead and one - lead left over. Your three six volt cells connected in series will give you approx. eighteen volts (open circuit, no load).

I tried that but we still had 6 volts. Am I not seeing something? or it is the quality of the cells? Also I am a electrician, we have a simple formula for voltage conversion we use in the field. Example, we use 100 amps at 480 volts thru a transformer to get 200 amps @ 208 volts. is there a simple formula for dc to ac that is as simple without going into harmonics and wave distortion. Say if we have 1000 volts dc what can we expect to get in ac volts
Thank you
Joe

Joe F, first of all, your solar cells are Direct Current devices. No need to try to mix transformer formulas that manipulate Alternating Current because they are two different kinds of electricity. AC transformer laws do not transfer over to DC circuits.

Actually one single solar cell only generates about one half of one volt. My mistake was to not notice that detail in your first post. What you have is three “arrays” or “modules” of cells. Inside each module are probably twelve solar cells connected in series to give an output of six volts.

Now that our terminology is clear, I’ll try to troubleshoot your problem from here. You said you connected them in series and still got six volts. This sounds wrong; they should add up. I would separate those modules and measure each one individually to verify each was giving six volts at no load, or “open circuit”. Use “one full sun” to illuminate the module. If each module is indeed measuring six volts you should be able to add them in series, just as I described earlier, to get about eighteen volts.

Lots of good information on solar cells to read and study at the two sites below:
http://www.solarbotics.net/starting/200202_solar_cells/200202_solar_cell_use.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cell

If you get no joy, come right back here and let us know!

Joe F said:
I tried that but we still had 6 volts. Am I not seeing something?
It sounds like you may not have had all the polarities lined up! Just like batteries, you have to be sure of connecting the + wire from one panel to the – wire of the next.

If you get just one of your 3 panels around the wrong way, its 6V will cancel the 6V from one of the others, leaving you with just the 6V from the third one! Your multimeter will identify the + and – wires from each individual panel and allow you to get them all correctly connected.

Related to Increase Output Voltage of Solar Cells

1. How can the output voltage of solar cells be increased?

There are several ways to increase the output voltage of solar cells. One method is to connect multiple cells in series, which adds the voltage of each cell together. Another method is to use a voltage-boosting device, such as a DC-DC converter, to increase the voltage. Additionally, optimizing the design and materials of the solar cell can also lead to higher voltages.

2. Can the output voltage of solar cells be increased indefinitely?

No, there are limitations to how much the output voltage of solar cells can be increased. The maximum voltage that can be achieved is determined by the materials and design of the solar cell, as well as external factors such as temperature and sunlight intensity. Going beyond this limit can damage the solar cell.

3. How does temperature affect the output voltage of solar cells?

Temperature can have a significant impact on the output voltage of solar cells. As temperature increases, the voltage of the cell decreases. This is due to the materials used in the solar cell, as they have a temperature coefficient that affects the voltage. Therefore, it is important to consider temperature when designing and using solar cells.

4. Can the output voltage of solar cells be increased without affecting the efficiency?

In some cases, it is possible to increase the output voltage of solar cells without significantly affecting the efficiency. This can be achieved through advanced design and material choices that allow for higher voltages without sacrificing efficiency. However, there may be a trade-off between voltage and efficiency, and it is important to find the right balance for each specific application.

5. Are there any safety concerns when increasing the output voltage of solar cells?

Yes, there are safety concerns to consider when increasing the output voltage of solar cells. Higher voltage can pose a risk of electrical shock, so proper precautions must be taken when working with or installing solar cells. It is also important to ensure that the voltage does not exceed the limits of the equipment or devices connected to the solar cells.