Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Including scanned diagrams in the text of a post

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
Can someone give me an idea of how to include (the scan of) a small diagram - say 1/4 to 1/3 of the size of an A4 page (thus not the whole page) - into a post - in such a way as the diagram is visible to the reader - that is he/she does not have to open a pdf file.

(I know that this is not exactly a "Latex" question, but I am not sure where else such a question belongs.)

Peter

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Can someone give me an idea of how to include (the scan of) a small diagram - say 1/4 to 1/3 of the size of an A4 page (thus not the whole page) - into a post - in such a way as the diagram is visible to the reader - that is he/she does not have to open a pdf file.

(I know that this is not exactly a "Latex" question, but I am not sure where else such a question belongs.)

Peter
Hi Peter, :)

One way of doing this is to convert the pdf pages (assuming that you have a pdf file) into an image format such as PNG (my favourite) and then use TinyPic to host them. Let me show this to you by an example. I created a pdf file from Wikipedia as a sample. Now using a converter (for example >>this<<) we convert the pdf pages into PNG (or you can choose some other image format). Then we upload it into TinyPic paste the link here.

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
Hi Peter, :)

One way of doing this is to convert the pdf pages (assuming that you have a pdf file) into an image format such as PNG (my favourite) and then use TinyPic to host them. Let me show this to you by an example. I created a pdf file from Wikipedia as a sample. Now using a converter (for example >>this<<) we convert the pdf pages into PNG (or you can choose some other image format). Then we upload it into TinyPic paste the link here.

Thanks Suhharaka.

i appreciate your help.

Peter

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
You are welcome. :)
Hi Sudharaka,

I just tested your method but did not too well - I wanted to show an image of the text of Proposition 27 from page 386 of Dummit and Foote - sized to the MHB panel - note ... ONLY the text of the proposition - not the rest of the page ...

I converted my pdf of Dummit and Foote page 386 into PNG format and thenn uploaded to TinyPic - I was looking for someway to resize the page and cut away all the other text except the Proposition ..

Of course, if I just paste the link I get a overly large image of the whole page - see below ...

How do I get an image that fits in the MHB window and is restricted to the text of the statement of the proposition only ... ie how do I cut away the rest of the text ... as well as resize the image ...

Hope you can help

Peter

If I just paste the IMG code for forums and message boards here is what I get:

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Assuming you work with Windows, I recommend installing IrfanView:
IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide
Although any image editor will do.

When you have your page on your monitor in the size that you want it, press the "Print Scrn" button, which will copy your screen to the clip board.
Paste it in IrfanView.
Draw a rectangle around the text you want to high light and "crop" it (Ctrl+Y).
If you want, you can still resize it (Ctrl+R), but that is usually a bad idea when text is involved.
Save the file for instance in PNG format with maximum compression.

Finally click the insert picture quick button in this forum and you can upload it.

This is what I usually do.

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
Assuming your work with Windows, I recommend installing IrfanView:

When you have your page on your monitor in the size that you want it, prese the "Print Scrn" button, which will copy your screen to the clip board.
Paste it in IrfanView.
If you want, you can still resize it (Ctrl+R), but that is usually a bad idea when text is involved.

Finally click the insert picture quick button in this forum and you can upload it.

Thanks so much for the help

Testing your idea

View attachment 2124

Now I think, with your help, I have something that works (at least it worked once :) )

Thanks again!!!

Peter

Peter

MHB Site Helper
Jun 22, 2012
Assuming you work with Windows, I recommend installing IrfanView:

When you have your page on your monitor in the size that you want it, press the "Print Scrn" button, which will copy your screen to the clip board.
Paste it in IrfanView.

Hi I like Serena,

Can you give me a bit more advice:

You write:

"Save the file for instance in PNG format with maximum compression."

The maximum compression could be important as I created a PNG file from pdf using Neevia Technology's document converter and then with less that 1/2 page of text went over the MHB limit for inserted images ... ...

Can you tell me what document converter you use and how you get maximum compression of the PNG file ... Neevis Technology's document converter does not appear to have a way of compressing a PNG file ...

Peter

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012
Hi I like Serena,

Can you give me a bit more advice:

You write:

"Save the file for instance in PNG format with maximum compression."

The maximum compression could be important as I created a PNG file from pdf using Neevia Technology's document converter and then with less that 1/2 page of text went over the MHB limit for inserted images ... ...

Can you tell me what document converter you use and how you get maximum compression of the PNG file ... Neevis Technology's document converter does not appear to have a way of compressing a PNG file ...

Peter
I "copy" it directly from a screen preview and paste it into IrfanView.
When saving as PNG with IrfanView I specify the maximum compression, which is 9.
The result is usually ~10kB, which fits easily within any MHB limits.

I recommend against using other image converters for the reasons you have discovered.