Including error bars in a chart

In summary: EdgarIn summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for free software that can create charts with error bars. The suggested solutions include using any spreadsheet program to manually calculate and plot error bars, seeking out a program specifically designed for this purpose, or using a graphing program such as Origin or Excel. Additional suggestions include using Gnuplot, R, and hippodraw.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Can anyone recommend some free software to me where you can make charts that include an error bar? OpenOffice Calc is not able to do that (I don't have access to Excel).

So as an example: I have a triplicate measurement of 77, 75 and 76. I want the graph to show 75 as the mean and then an error bar of +/- 1.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand this right, any spreadsheet program should do.
Enter your data, calculate the average, find the value furthest from it (max-avg / min-avg), and use that as the error. Then plot that as an error bar.

There probably is a program that does this for you, but I don't know any.

But how do I include that as an error bar in a graph, the software I tried is not able to do a proper job.

For instance: I have four replicates and for each replicate I have 5 types of information. For each type of information I want to have a bar that has its own error bar.
Code:
big small round square pointy
1   10    55     23       6
3   15    54     22       5
2   2     55     24       8
2   12    60     20       5

2   9.8  56     22.25  6       average
.71 4.8  2.35   1.48   1.22    stdev

You might try http://students.washington.edu/bellc/grapher/index.php . I think it's the same "Grapher" I ran into 20 years ago --- might not be, and I've no idea what features it still has, has added, or anything else. Caveat emptor, but at the price, ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried it out. It's for graphing formulas, it doesn't have a spreadsheet. Thanks for the suggestion though.

If you already have your data points and their respective error bars, the graphing program I use the most is called "Origin".

Excel also does error bars.

Hm, yeah, €900 is a little too much money for error bars :smile:
I'll find a computer with Excel and plug in the data there.

Related to Including error bars in a chart

1. What are error bars?

Error bars are graphical representations of the variability or uncertainty in data. They are typically shown as vertical lines extending from the data points in a chart.

2. Why is it important to include error bars in a chart?

Including error bars in a chart helps to visualize the range of possible values for a particular data point. It also allows for comparison between different data points and helps to determine the reliability and significance of the data.

3. How are error bars calculated?

Error bars can be calculated using various methods, depending on the type of data and the purpose of the chart. Common methods include standard deviation, confidence intervals, and standard error.

4. How do I add error bars to a chart?

The process of adding error bars to a chart varies depending on the software or program being used. Generally, there should be an option to add error bars in the chart editing or formatting tools. You will need to specify the type of error bars (e.g. standard deviation) and the range of values to be used for the error bars.

5. Can error bars be customized?

Yes, error bars can be customized in terms of style, color, and size to suit the specific needs of the chart. You can also choose to display error bars on one side of the data point only or use different types of error bars for different data points.