Include Mathcad files as allowed attachment extensions?

• Thread starter NemoReally
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about adding Mathcad worksheets as allowed attachments to make it easier to diagnose problems. The most common extensions for Mathcad are .mcd, .xmcd, .xmcdz, and .mcdx. Later versions of Mathcad can save as older types, but not all formats are backward compatible. Mathcad Prime does not have this issue, but there is an import utility available. The extensions have been added, thanks to NR's suggestion.
NemoReally
Hello,

I notice that there are a few people requesting help with Mathcad worksheet. To aid in the transfer of worksheets (as it can be quite difficult to diagnose a problem from just a picture), would it be possible to add Mathcad worksheets to the list of allowed attachments? The most common extensions are: .mcd (Mathcad versions <= 11), .xmcd & .xmcdz (Mathcad 12..15) and .mcdx (Mathcad Prime).

Thank you.

NR

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Good idea, I'll add it tomorrow, thanks!
Thank you. :smile:

I don't know if later versions of Mathcad can save as older types eg .mcd but can I urge anyone posting a Mathcad file to use an older type so that us old farts can read it.

Studiot said:
I don't know if later versions of Mathcad can save as older types eg .mcd but can I urge anyone posting a Mathcad file to use an older type so that us old farts can read it.

The 'newer' versions save back a fixed number of versions. (depends what you call new, of course!)

M11: (mcd) 6,7,8, 2000, 2001,2001i
M15: (mcd) 11, (xmcd,xmcdz) 12, 13,14

I haven't got M12..M14 installed, so can't check, but I think they all go back 4 versions.

Not all of the mcd file formats are backward compatible, so M6 won't read an M11 .mcd file, et sim for the xmcd files.

Mathcad Prime avoids the difficulty by not going back to anything (there is, however, an import utility that does conversion to its .mcdx format from Mathcad proper).

NR

Greg Bernhardt said:
the extensions have been added, thanks

Thank You.

NR

Related to Include Mathcad files as allowed attachment extensions?

1. What is a Mathcad file?

A Mathcad file is a digital document created using the software program Mathcad. It is used for mathematical and engineering calculations, data analysis, and graphing.

2. What types of files can be attached as allowed extensions in Mathcad?

Mathcad allows various file types to be attached as extensions, such as Mathcad worksheets (.mcd, .xmcd), Microsoft Word documents (.doc, .docx), Excel spreadsheets (.xls, .xlsx), and PDF files (.pdf).

3. How do I include a Mathcad file as an allowed attachment extension in my project?

To include a Mathcad file as an attachment in your project, you can use the "Attach File" function in Mathcad or simply drag and drop the file into your project folder. You can then specify the file type as an allowed extension in the project settings.

4. Can I open a Mathcad file without having the software installed?

No, Mathcad files can only be opened and edited using the Mathcad software program. However, you can export the file as a PDF or other file type for others to view without the need for Mathcad.

5. Is there a limit to the number of Mathcad files that can be attached as allowed extensions in a project?

No, there is no limit to the number of Mathcad files that can be attached as allowed extensions in a project. However, it is important to keep in mind the file size limitations set by your project or email platform.