Inclined plane problem help please

In summary, the conversation discusses a frictionless inclined plane with a rotating angle of inclination that is a function of time. The equation m(dv/dt)=mgsin(x) is used to find the velocity of an object sliding down the plane. The question arises as to why the velocity is negative and why it is still present at t=0. There is also a mention of the potential and kinetic energy of the object.
Vatsa
If the angle of a frictionless inclined plane 'a' is such that a=wt

where w is angular velocity and a is a function of t
and an object is sliding down that plane then...
if m is the mass of the object

m(dv/dt)=mgsin(wt)

solving for v i got

v=(-gcos(wt)/w)

Why is the velocity negative and Why is that when i substitute t=0 v is greater than 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Vatsa
What is the question asking for?
Can you please post the complete question , ?

Well...i just like solving problems i come up with...

So suppose you have a rotating inclined plane and the angle of inclination is a function of time such that...angle 'x'=angular velocity(w)*time(t)

now mgsin(x) is the horizotal component of g so the body on the frictionless inclined plane experiences a horizontal force=mgsin(x)..let the velocity along the incline plane be v
where m is the mass of the body
so...

m(dv/dt)=mgsin(x)

solving for v i got the above result...

my question is that even at t=0 why is there velocity..because at t=0 angle=0 and why is the velocity negative?

As the slope and mass are rotating about the bottom of the slope isn't there also a Centrifugal force acting up the slope?

and when you frame the equation , integrate it voila!

I'm not really sure, but I think you are not using the exact formula, the equation: mgsin(x), is not giving you the velocity, instead, is giving you the potencial energy of the body, that is why with t=0 gives you a value, because, while stopped, the body has potential energy instead of cinectic energy. If you want to find the velocity, you have to do the variation of the mechanichal energy so it will be: Em= Emf-Emi⇔Em= (Ecf+Epf)-(Eci+Epi)⇔Em=Ecf-Emi (because Epf=0 and Eci=0). The value is negative, because g=-9,8m/s.

Related to Inclined plane problem help please

1. What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is at an angle to the ground. It is used to reduce the effort needed to lift or move heavy objects by spreading the work over a longer distance.

2. What is the formula for calculating the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane?

The formula for calculating the mechanical advantage of an inclined plane is MA = length of incline/height of incline.

3. How do you calculate the force needed to lift an object using an inclined plane?

The force needed to lift an object using an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula F = weight of object/sin(angle of incline).

4. What is the relationship between the angle of incline and the effort needed to lift an object?

The smaller the angle of incline, the less effort is required to lift an object. As the angle of incline increases, the effort needed to lift the object also increases.

5. Can an inclined plane be used to lift an object vertically?

No, an inclined plane can only be used to lift an object at an angle. To lift an object vertically, a different simple machine, such as a pulley or a lever, would need to be used.