Inclined plane/gravity question

• Thread starter artie1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inclined
In summary, a person asked if a ball would roll faster on an inclined plane with increased gravity or on a planet with even greater gravity. They also mentioned that friction does not affect the speed of the ball if it is rolling without slipping. The person was seeking clarification from experts on this topic.
artie1
This is my first time posting here. My son is in junior high and asked his science teacher this question but he said the teacher seemed uncertain his response was correct.

If a ball is on an inclined plane and rolls down it, does a greater pull of gravity cause the ball to roll faster, or does the increased friction of the ball on the surface of the inclined plane due to the increased gravity slow the ball down more?

In other words, if the same ball and inclined plane were moved from Earth to, say, Saturn or Jupiter, would the ball roll faster on Earth or on the planet with greater gravity?

I'm sure it's a simple answer on this forum, I guessed the ball would roll faster on Saturn than Earth but I wanted to get the "real" answer here.

Thanks,
Artie

Physics news on Phys.org
Faster.

Additionally, if you're considering an ideal situation (i.e. rolling without slipping), friction doesn't slow the ball down at all, regardless of gravity.

Zhermes- Thank you- I appreciate your help!

Related to Inclined plane/gravity question

What is an inclined plane?

An inclined plane is a simple machine that is a flat, sloped surface. It allows objects to be moved from a lower height to a higher height with less force than lifting the object straight up.

How does an inclined plane work?

An inclined plane works by reducing the force needed to move an object by increasing the distance over which the force is applied. This allows for an easier movement of heavy objects.

What is the relationship between an inclined plane and gravity?

An inclined plane and gravity are closely related. Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the earth, and an inclined plane uses this force to move objects from a lower height to a higher height.

What are some real-life examples of inclined planes?

Inclined planes can be found in many everyday objects, such as ramps, stairs, and even playground slides. Other examples include wheelchair ramps, escalators, and roller coasters.

What are the advantages of using an inclined plane?

The main advantage of using an inclined plane is that it reduces the amount of force needed to move an object. This can make it easier to move heavy objects or transport them to higher locations. Inclined planes are also simple and inexpensive machines, making them accessible and widely used.