Inclined disk rotating on the ground

In summary,The disk of radius R and mass m rotates on a floor with coefficient of friction μ and makes a circle of radius r0 at constant speed v0.The friction force between the disk and the floor is F=mRfrac{v_0^2}{r_0}.The inclination angle α is given by α=tan(θ).Moments around point A=moments around the center o, but i am not sure i am allowed to choose 2 different points: mgR\sin\alpha=m\frac{v_0^2}{r_0}R\cos\alpha\rightarrow \tan\alpha=\frac{v_0^
Karol

Homework Statement

A disk of radius R and mass m rotates on a floor with coefficient of friction μ and makes a circle of radius r0 at constant speed v0.
What is the friction force between the disk and the floor.
What's the inclination angle α to the vertical.
It's suggested in the question to use cylindrical coordinate system in which ##\hat{r}## is from the center of the circle to the point of contact of the disk and ##\hat{\theta}## is in the tangential direction and ##\hat{z}## is upwards.

Homework Equations

Centrifugal acceleration: ##a=\frac{v^2}{r}##

The Attempt at a Solution

The friction force:
$$F=m\frac{v_0^2}{r_0}$$
The inclination angle. moments round point A=moments round the center o, but i am not sure i am allowed to choose 2 different points:
$$mgR\sin\alpha=m\frac{v_0^2}{r_0}R\cos\alpha\rightarrow \tan\alpha=\frac{v_0^2}{gr_0}$$
I don't understand why and how i have to use cylindrical coordinate system since i solved easily. i suspect it's incorrect.
If i want to take moments of both the friction force f and the weight round the same point i choose point B on the top but both forces rotate the disk counterclockwise.

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 381
  • Snap2.jpg
    Snap2.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 385
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you assuming the net torque is zero? I must admit, angular momentum is one of my weak points, but I think there ought to be a net tangential torque (like the torque which causes a gyroscope to precess). Although the angular momentum is constant in magnitude, it is changing direction.

Karol said:
The friction force: ##F=m\frac{v_0^2}{r_0}##
The mass centre of the disc is not at radius r0.
Nathanael said:
Are you assuming the net torque is zero? I must admit, angular momentum is one of my weak points, but I think there ought to be a net tangential torque (like the torque which causes a gyroscope to precess). Although the angular momentum is constant in magnitude, it is changing direction.
I agree.
Karol, consider a gyroscope balanced on a point but leaning. There is a torque from gravity tending to topple it, and no 'centrifugal force' in this case to balance it, yet it does not topple. Instead, it precesses. You need to calculate the precession rate and what net torque is required to produce it.

haruspex said:
The mass centre of the disc is not at radius r0.
I (as usual) forgot to write that we can assume R<<r0
The torque: ##\frac{dL}{dt}=mRg\sin\alpha##
The horizontal component of the angular momentum:
$$L_{(hor)}\cos\alpha=I\omega\cos\alpha=\frac{1}{2}mR^2\cdot \frac{v_0}{R}\cos\alpha$$
The vector of change in the horizontal component of the torque:
$$dL=L\cos\alpha\cdot \Omega dt=\frac{1}{2}mR^2\cdot \frac{v_0}{R}\cos\alpha\cdot \frac{v_0}{r_0}dt$$
$$\rightarrow \frac{dL}{dt}=\frac{mRv_0^2\cos\alpha}{2r_0}$$
But we know ##\frac{dL}{dt}=mRg\sin\alpha## so:
$$mRg\sin\alpha=\frac{mRv_0^2\cos\alpha}{2r_0}\;\rightarrow\;\tan\alpha=\frac{v_0^2}{2gr_0}$$

Last edited:
In your first solution you considered the torque needed to provide centripetal force, in the solution just above you've considered the torque needed to provide the precession rate. You need both.

haruspex said:
In your first solution you considered the torque needed to provide centripetal force, in the solution just above you've considered the torque needed to provide the precession rate. You need both.
The precession is only changing the angular momentum's direction, right? and that's what i have calculated, i guess.
$$mRg\sin\alpha=\frac{mRv_0^2\cos\alpha}{2r_0}+m\frac{v_0^2}{r_0}R\cos\alpha$$
$$\tan\alpha=\frac{3v_0^2}{2gr_0}$$
But why am i allowed to take moments round 2 different points in the same equation (for the centripetal force)?

Karol said:
The precession is only changing the angular momentum's direction, right? and that's what i have calculated, i guess.
$$mRg\sin\alpha=\frac{mRv_0^2\cos\alpha}{2r_0}+m\frac{v_0^2}{r_0}R\cos\alpha$$
$$\tan\alpha=\frac{3v_0^2}{2gr_0}$$
But why am i allowed to take moments round 2 different points in the same equation (for the centripetal force)?
I agree with the answer but don't understand the question. Which two points?

haruspex said:
don't understand the question. Which two points?
In the original OP i made moments round points A and O in order to find the angle α: i took the torque of the weight round the point of contact A and equaled it to the torque of the friction force round the center point O. am i allowed to consider, in the same equation, moments round two different points?
It's interesting that if i consider the centrifugal force instead of the friction force i can take moments of both forces round the same point A, but i want to solve in the inertial frame and there there is only the friction.

Karol said:
In the original OP i made moments round points A and O in order to find the angle α: i took the torque of the weight round the point of contact A and equaled it to the torque of the friction force round the center point O. am i allowed to consider, in the same equation, moments round two different points?
It's interesting that if i consider the centrifugal force instead of the friction force i can take moments of both forces round the same point A, but i want to solve in the inertial frame and there there is only the friction.
Yes, I thought of it in terms of a centrifugal force - not something I usually do.
The alternative is to say that the torque produced by the combination of (equal and opposite) weight and normal force, in combination with the 'lever arm' (height of the mass centre) produces the centripetal force.

Thanks

Karol said:

Homework Statement

A disk of radius R and mass m rotates on a floor with coefficient of friction μ and makes a circle of radius r0 at constant speed v0.
What is the friction force between the disk and the floor.
What's the inclination angle α to the vertical.
It's suggested in the question to use cylindrical coordinate system in which ##\hat{r}## is from the center of the circle to the point of contact of the disk and ##\hat{\theta}## is in the tangential direction and ##\hat{z}## is upwards.
I like pictures displayed when possible. Just my quirk .

snap1-jpg.85418.jpg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
snap2-jpg.85419.jpg

Related to Inclined disk rotating on the ground

1. How does the angle of incline affect the rotation of a disk on the ground?

The angle of incline has a significant impact on the rotation of a disk on the ground. As the angle increases, the force of gravity pulling the disk downward also increases, causing it to rotate faster. Conversely, a smaller angle of incline will result in a slower rotation of the disk.

2. What factors influence the friction between the disk and the ground?

The amount of friction between the disk and the ground is influenced by several factors, including the materials of the disk and the ground, the surface roughness, and the weight of the disk. Additionally, the force of gravity and the angle of incline also play a role in the amount of friction present.

3. Can the direction of rotation be reversed by changing the angle of incline?

Yes, the direction of rotation can be reversed by changing the angle of incline. This is because the direction of the force of gravity changes as the angle is altered, resulting in a change in the direction of the rotation.

4. How does the diameter of the disk affect its rotation on the ground?

The diameter of the disk has a minimal effect on its rotation on the ground. As long as the angle of incline and the amount of friction remain constant, the diameter of the disk will not significantly impact its rotation.

5. What is the relationship between the speed of rotation and the force of gravity on an inclined disk?

The speed of rotation is directly proportional to the force of gravity on an inclined disk. This means that as the force of gravity increases, the speed of rotation will also increase, and vice versa. This relationship is known as the law of gravitation, which states that the force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of an object and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects.