Incline Plane & Friction Question

In summary, the normal force N acting on a block on a horizontal plane can be calculated by adding the vertical components of the forces acting on the block. When the force is applied at an upward angle, N is equal to mg minus mg sinθ. When the force is applied at a downward angle, N is equal to mg plus mg sinθ. The normal force can be thought of as either a supporting force or a pressing force, and an increase in normal force increases the friction.
bchung606
Question says: A person is pulling on a block of mass m with a force equal to its weight directed 30° above the horizontal plane across a rough surface, generating a friction f on the block. If the person is now pushing downward on the block with the same force 30° above the horizontal plane across the same rough surface, what is the friction on the block?

Solution says: The friction f on the block is represented by the formula f =μkN, where N is the normal force acting on the block. When the force is applied 30° above the horizontal, N = mg - mg sin30° Since sin30° is 0.5, N = mg - 0.5mg = 0.5mg. Substituting N into the formula for friction, it becomes f1 = 0.5μk. When the force is applied 30° below the horizontal, N = mg + mg sin30° = mg + 0.5mg = 1.5 mg. Substituting N into the formula for friction, it becomes 1.5μk = 3f1.

I think I understand what the book is saying logically, but I don't understand how N = mg - mgsinθ or that N = mg + mgsinθ. N should equal mgcosθ. Can someone help me understand this part?

Physics news on Phys.org
bchung606 said:
I think I understand what the book is saying logically, but I don't understand how N = mg - mgsinθ or that N = mg + mgsinθ. N should equal mgcosθ. Can someone help me understand this part?
First, realize that this is a horizontal plane, not an inclined plane. To find the normal force, just add up the vertical forces acting on the block. They must add to zero.

In the case where the force is applied at an upward angle, what forces act on the block and what are their vertical components?

Related to Incline Plane & Friction Question

1. What is an incline plane and how does it work?

An incline plane, also known as a ramp, is a simple machine that consists of a flat, sloped surface. It reduces the amount of force needed to move an object by spreading the force over a longer distance. The force required to move an object up an incline plane is less than the force needed to lift the object straight up.

2. How does friction affect the movement on an incline plane?

Friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object. On an incline plane, friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's movement, making it harder for the object to slide down the ramp. The steeper the incline, the greater the friction force will be.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction on an incline plane?

The amount of friction on an incline plane depends on the type of surface, the weight of the object, and the angle of the incline. Rougher surfaces and heavier objects will have more friction, while a smaller angle of incline will result in less friction.

4. How does the angle of incline affect the amount of force needed to move an object?

The angle of incline plays a significant role in determining the force needed to move an object on an incline plane. As the angle increases, the force required to move the object also increases. This is because a steeper incline results in a greater component of weight acting against the ramp, making it more difficult to move the object up the ramp.

5. Are there any real-life applications of incline planes and friction?

Yes, incline planes and friction are used in various real-life applications, including ramps for wheelchair access, loading docks, and playground slides. Incline planes are also commonly used in construction to move heavy materials up to higher levels. Friction is also a crucial factor in the design of car brakes, as it helps slow down the vehicle by converting its kinetic energy into heat.