Inadequite preparation for higher level physics

In summary, the individual's intro physics sequence was not challenging enough and used a textbook that had easier exam questions than the homework. They plan to transfer to a better school and want to be prepared for higher level mechanics and E&M courses. They are considering studying K&K and Purcell, but are unsure of any online resources for accompanying lectures. They will also be taking other math courses and have until Fall 2016 before taking a higher level course in E&M. They are seeking advice on how to supplement the lack of a lecturer for the honors courses. Some suggestions include focusing on problem sets and using online resources for homework help.
PhotonSSBM
Insights Author
My intro physics sequence was kind of a joke. It used Serway, and the exam questions were easier than the homework from the book most of the time. That's par for the course for my school, but I'll be going to a better one in the spring, and I want to be adequately prepared for the higher level mechanics and E&M courses there.

I want to study K&K and Purcell, but I don't know of any online video lectures or lecture notes that accompany them. I'll be taking Vector Calculus and Linear Algebra in the fall, and Differential Equations in the spring. I have until Fall 2016 before I take a higher level course, due to the nature of the two schools and when I transfer. When I do, it will be E&M at the level of Griffiths.

Does my plan sound good, and would any of you have anything to add to supplement the lack of a lecturer in an honors course for those books?

Physics news on Phys.org
PhotonSSBM said:
My intro physics sequence was kind of a joke. It used Serway, and the exam questions were easier than the homework from the book most of the time. That's par for the course for my school, but I'll be going to a better one in the spring, and I want to be adequately prepared for the higher level mechanics and E&M courses there.

I want to study K&K and Purcell, but I don't know of any online video lectures or lecture notes that accompany them. I'll be taking Vector Calculus and Linear Algebra in the fall, and Differential Equations in the spring. I have until Fall 2016 before I take a higher level course, due to the nature of the two schools and when I transfer. When I do, it will be E&M at the level of Griffiths.

Does my plan sound good, and would any of you have anything to add to supplement the lack of a lecturer in an honors course for those books?

Both texts are clear enough to be read without lectures, considering you've already taken intro mech/em courses (which both texts are). Focus more on the problem sets, you probably already have enough background with the concepts that only real benefit you'll see is by doing problems. Good reads, however.

You can always check your work/reasoning here in the homework help section.

Likes PhotonSSBM

Related to Inadequite preparation for higher level physics

1. How can I prepare for higher level physics courses?

To prepare for higher level physics courses, it is important to have a strong foundation in the fundamentals of physics, such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills through solving challenging physics problems can also help prepare for higher level courses.

2. What resources are available for preparing for higher level physics courses?

There are many resources available for preparing for higher level physics courses, including textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. It can also be helpful to seek out a mentor or tutor who can provide guidance and support.

3. How important is math in preparing for higher level physics courses?

Math is a crucial component of physics, and a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and problem-solving techniques is necessary for success in higher level physics courses. It is recommended to review and practice key math concepts, such as calculus and algebra, before starting a higher level physics course.

4. What are some common mistakes students make when preparing for higher level physics courses?

Some common mistakes students make when preparing for higher level physics courses include not reviewing and understanding fundamental concepts, not practicing enough problem-solving, and not seeking help when needed. It is important to thoroughly understand the material and seek help when struggling to ensure success in higher level physics courses.

5. How can I improve my critical thinking skills for higher level physics courses?

To improve critical thinking skills for higher level physics courses, it can be helpful to engage in activities that require problem-solving and logical reasoning, such as solving challenging physics problems, participating in group discussions, and reading and analyzing scientific articles and research. It is also important to cultivate a curiosity and open-mindedness towards learning and understanding new concepts.