In what direction should the pilot travel in this direct flight?

In summary: Airport A to Airport B. On the way, he flies directly east for 300 km, then 340 km at 34.0° west of north, and 150 km north to finally arrive at Airport B. If Bobo had continued to fly in a straight line from Airport A to Airport B, he would have flown in a direction that is 56 degrees north of east.
physics1720
I'm new to physics and am having a problem with a homework questions

An airplane starting from airport A flies 300 km east, then 340 km at 34.0° west of north, and then 150 km north to arrive finally at airport B.

A.)The next day, another plane flies directly from A to B in a straight line. In what direction should the pilot travel in this direct flight?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
please tell us what effort you yourself have put into the problem before we can help you.

ALso try drawing a diagram... it makes it significantly easier to figure out from there

I spent my entire brake in between classes today on it which is 3 hours and I have worked on it about an hour after class. I have drawed a couple of different pics and I just can't figure it out.

Draw a picture! Draw a line 340 km long due East from A (scale it if you prefer!), i.e. horizontal, then draw a line at "34 degrees W of N" which would be 90- 34= 56 degrees above the horizontal line (back above the horizontal line) and mark that off at 340 km (and I'm going to call that point C). Finally draw a third line due N (vertical) from that point and mark off distance 150 km. The final point is B. Finally draw in the line from A to B. That's the straight flight back.
You could do this problem purely trigonmetrically. Draw the line from A to B and you should see two triangles- one ABC and the other AC and an unlabled point. The angle at that unlabled point is 56 degrees and the two sides adjacent (SAS) have lengths 300 and 340. You can use the cosine law to find the length of AC, then use the sine law to find the other two angles in that triangle and so angle C in the other triangle. Use the cosine law (since you know the length of CB and have just found the length of CA) to find the length of side AB and then use the sine law to find the angle ABC- the direction to fly.
Of course, most people might prefer to use "components". The components of the first leg are 300i+ 0j and the components of the third are 0i+ 150j. The components of the second leg are -340cos(56)i+ 340 sin(56)j. Add those vectors to find the vector from A to B, reverse it to find the vector from B to A and get the direction from that.

let us know when you have found the answer and what it is to make sure that youre on the right track. the methods shown here are superb for your cause. the key here is really to draw a diagram. its tricky the first time, but youll see that it all makes sense.

good luck!

Bobo

Related to In what direction should the pilot travel in this direct flight?

1. What is the best direction for a direct flight?

The best direction for a direct flight depends on the destination and the prevailing winds in that area. The pilot will consider factors such as fuel efficiency, weather conditions, and air traffic when determining the best direction to travel.

2. Why is the direction of a direct flight important?

The direction of a direct flight is important because it affects the flight time, fuel consumption, and overall efficiency of the flight. The pilot will choose the direction that will optimize these factors and ensure a safe and smooth journey for passengers.

3. How does the pilot determine the direction of a direct flight?

The pilot uses various tools and resources to determine the direction of a direct flight. This can include weather reports, flight planning software, and communication with air traffic control. They will also consider the flight route, destination, and other factors before making a decision.

4. Can the direction of a direct flight change during the journey?

Yes, the direction of a direct flight can change during the journey. This can happen due to unexpected weather conditions, air traffic congestion, or other factors. In such cases, the pilot will make necessary adjustments to ensure a safe and efficient flight.

5. How does wind direction affect the direction of a direct flight?

Wind direction plays a crucial role in determining the direction of a direct flight. Pilots will often choose to fly with tailwinds (wind direction aligned with the direction of the flight) as it can reduce the flight time and fuel consumption. Crosswinds (wind blowing perpendicular to the direction of the flight) can also affect the direction and may require the pilot to make adjustments for a safe landing.