In the Middle of Nowhere: Choosing Between Two Wires & a 12V Battery

In summary, the person is in a dire situation in the desert with only a 12volt battery and an emergency transmitter. They must make the correct connection between the two in order to be rescued, as the transmitter will be destroyed if wired incorrectly. They are seeking help in making the right choice.
dave101a
I am lost in the middle of a vast desert in my swim shorts. There is nothing anywhere around me as far as you can see. In front of me is a 12volt battery (say lead acid) with no markings or other indicators of polarity. there are 2 wires long enough to make a connection to the emergency tranmitter next to it, also 12 volt. If it is wired up wrong the transmitter will be destroyed instantly. If it is done right, then i will be rescued. How can i make the right choice.

Engineering news on Phys.org
dave101a said:
I am lost in the middle of a vast desert in my swim shorts. There is nothing anywhere around me as far as you can see. In front of me is a 12volt battery (say lead acid) with no markings or other indicators of polarity. there are 2 wires long enough to make a connection to the emergency tranmitter next to it, also 12 volt. If it is wired up wrong the transmitter will be destroyed instantly. If it is done right, then i will be rescued. How can i make the right choice.

I know the answer. PM me your answer to this so I can unlock the thread and let others answer. If this is homework or schoolwork, we can't let others give you the answer unless we know that you already have figured it out.

Related to In the Middle of Nowhere: Choosing Between Two Wires & a 12V Battery

1. What are the main differences between using two wires and a 12V battery?

The main difference is the source of power. Two wires rely on a power source from another location, while a 12V battery has its own built-in power source. Additionally, two wires require a complete circuit to function, whereas a 12V battery only needs a positive and negative connection.

2. Which option is more cost-effective?

In most cases, using two wires is more cost-effective as it eliminates the need for purchasing and maintaining a battery. However, the cost will ultimately depend on the specific project and the availability of resources.

3. Are there any safety concerns to consider when choosing between two wires and a 12V battery?

Both options have potential safety concerns. Two wires can cause electric shock if not handled properly, and a 12V battery can overheat and potentially explode if not used correctly. It is important to follow safety protocols and handle both options with caution.

4. Which option is more reliable?

It depends on the specific project and circumstances. Two wires may be more reliable in situations where there is a constant power source and minimal risk of interruption. However, a 12V battery can be more reliable in areas with intermittent power or in situations where portability is necessary.

5. How do I determine which option is best for my project?

Consider factors such as cost, safety concerns, reliability, and the specific needs of your project. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts in the field and conduct research to determine the best option for your specific situation.