In Search of Causal Relationships

In summary: There are other sites that make the attempt, but they all pretty much become what you describe. So the chances of finding such a site are pretty much nil. In summary, the speaker is looking for an alternative forum to Physics Forums for discussing metaphysical concepts. They believe that causation is ultimately a metaphysical topic and not appropriate for an academic forum like PF. They have hopes that there is a quasi-academic web forum that allows for metaphysical discussions but also provides scientifically authoritative oversight. However, they acknowledge that Physics Forums is not the appropriate site for these discussions and do not believe that such a forum exists.
Feeble Wonk
I'm hoping for some help finding an alternative forum for this search. As a non-physicist pathologically curious about admittedly philosophical questions regarding physical concepts, I often come to PF for clarification of ideas that I'm chasing. Unfortunately, these ideas almost always boil down to a search for causal relationships. Even more unfortunate is my conclusion that causation is ultimately a metaphysical topic and not one that is appropriate for an academic forum such as PF. While this disappoints me, I fully understand the conflict with the PF mission.
Metaphysical discussions, by their very nature, often involve ideas or arguments that are "not even wrong"... not in the typical derogatory since of the phrase, but simply meaning that the idea is not testable because it makes no testable predictions. This is really not avoidable. Yet, the discussion of these concepts can also involve ideas that are simply "wrong"... meaning scientifically inaccurate. The learned PF moderators, that so generously give their time and attention, have frequently helped me in the past when I stumble over one of these "wrong" ideas. My hope is that an alternative quasi-academic web forum exists that provides similar scientifically authoritative "oversight", but still allows for the pursuit of admittedly metaphysical discussion.
Is anyone aware of such a forum that isn't just a site for those spewing "new age" or "religiously biased" silliness? I'd very much appreciate any guidance in this regard.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good luck finding such. I can't say for sure but my belief is that the lack of rigor on such sites ALWAYS leads to their being what amounts to surrogates for Deepak Chopra and his moronic ilk. The lack of this kind of nonsense is one of the major advantages of PF, although it certainly does, as you are well aware, disallow some possibly interesting discussions.

You seem to be one of those people (like me) who continuously asks "why" to the point of annoyance to those who are doing practical work. Yet, I think it is going to take thinking like that in order to answer the questions of the ultimate nature of reality that will give us a theory of everything. When we ask ourselves why this math is so necessary to the description of reality, some of us find ourselves gravitating towards the very nature of math and reality. What concepts can be so fundamental as to form a basis for both math and existence. Both seem to require logic to understand. Statements of math are either true or false. And things in reality either exist or not. So this leads some to ask what logic ultimately describes reality.

Yes, that's the sort of discussion is like to pursue with like minded participants, and yet still have the advantage having the "scientific" validity of the discussion enforced to the degree that "false" arguments will be corrected accordingly. If I propose an idea that is patently "wrong", I'd very much appreciate it if a more knowledgeable authority would stop me in my tracks and call me out on that. That's the whole point of the discussion to begin with.
Despite this, I fully recognize that PF is not the appropriate site for that discussion. I'm also under no delusions that an ultimate consensus regarding the nature of "reality" will be obtained through this type of discussion. Yet, I sincerely believe that conversations of this sort are not simply intellectual masturbation, but can help establish "big picture" direction for actual scientific research.

phinds said:
Good luck finding such. I can't say for sure but my belief is that the lack of rigor on such sites ALWAYS leads to their being what amounts to surrogates for Deepak Chopra and his moronic ilk. The lack of this kind of nonsense is one of the major advantages of PF, although it certainly does, as you are well aware, disallow some possibly interesting discussions.

Phinds has pretty much summed things up. It would be nice if the site that you're looking for existed, but as far as anyone knows, it does not. We do know, having tried it, that Physics Forums cannot be that site.

1. What is the purpose of "In Search of Causal Relationships" in scientific research?

The purpose of "In Search of Causal Relationships" in scientific research is to identify and understand the cause-and-effect relationships between variables or phenomena. This allows scientists to make informed conclusions and predictions about the natural world, and to design experiments and interventions that can ultimately lead to improvements in various fields such as medicine, psychology, and economics.

2. How do scientists establish causation in their studies?

Scientists establish causation by conducting controlled experiments, where they manipulate one variable while keeping all other variables constant. Through this process, they can isolate the effect of the manipulated variable on the outcome. Additionally, scientists also use statistical analyses and large sample sizes to strengthen their findings and rule out alternative explanations.

3. What is the difference between correlation and causation?

Correlation refers to a relationship between two variables, where a change in one variable is associated with a change in the other variable. Causation, on the other hand, refers to a relationship where one variable directly causes a change in another variable. Correlation does not necessarily imply causation, as there could be other factors that are influencing the relationship between the variables.

4. What are some common pitfalls to avoid when establishing causal relationships?

Some common pitfalls to avoid when establishing causal relationships include assuming causation based on correlation, not accounting for confounding variables, and generalizing findings to populations that were not included in the study. It is important for scientists to carefully design their studies and consider all possible factors that may be influencing the relationship between variables.

5. How can identifying causal relationships contribute to scientific knowledge?

Identifying causal relationships can contribute to scientific knowledge by providing a deeper understanding of the natural world and how different variables and phenomena are interconnected. This knowledge can lead to the development of new theories, interventions, and technologies that can ultimately improve our lives and address important societal issues. Additionally, establishing causation can also help to confirm or refute previous findings and guide future research in a specific area.