In search of a great book for introductory signals and systems

In summary, the speaker is enrolled in an introductory signals and systems course but is not satisfied with their professor. They are looking for a recommendation for a good book on signals and systems for beginners. A suggestion for a book is provided in the conversation.
CE Trainee
Hi all,

I am enrolled in an introductory signals and systems course at my university. I don't like talking down on my professors but in this case I can't help it. He is one of the worst teachers I have had in my life. I have visited his office hours but he's not really helpful in there either. I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a good signals and systems book that is geared towards the student beginner.

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
CE Trainee said:
Hi all,

I am enrolled in an introductory signals and systems course at my university. I don't like talking down on my professors but in this case I can't help it. He is one of the worst teachers I have had in my life. I have visited his office hours but he's not really helpful in there either. I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a good signals and systems book that is geared towards the student beginner.

Thanks for your time.

Check this book if you may like it:
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~eal/books/LeeVaraiya_SigSys.html

Pre-publication version is available online on above page itself.

Regards

Related to In search of a great book for introductory signals and systems

1. What is the best book for beginners to learn about signals and systems?

One highly recommended book for introductory signals and systems is "Signals and Systems" by Alan V. Oppenheim and Alan S. Willsky. It provides a comprehensive and easy-to-understand introduction to the subject.

2. Is prior knowledge in math required to understand signals and systems?

While a basic understanding of math is helpful, it is not required to understand signals and systems. Many introductory books provide a review of necessary math concepts and start from the basics.

3. Are there any online resources available for learning about signals and systems?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video lectures, tutorials, and practice problems available for learning about signals and systems. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

4. What makes a book on signals and systems a good one?

A good book on signals and systems should have clear explanations, relevant examples, and practice problems with solutions. It should also cover the fundamental concepts and provide a solid foundation for further learning.

5. Can you recommend a book for self-study on signals and systems?

"Signals and Systems Made Ridiculously Simple" by Zoher Z. Karu is a highly recommended book for self-study. It breaks down complex concepts into simple and easy-to-understand explanations, making it a great resource for self-learners.