In integration how much marks i will loose for not writing +c

In summary: Firstly, I am happy to hear that you did well on your exams! In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of integration and potential mistakes that may result in point deductions. It was mentioned that the decision to deduct points for such mistakes varies among teachers. Additionally, it was stated that it is important to consider the context of the problem when determining whether or not to include the "+c" term. Ultimately, it was concluded that it is best to follow the instructions of the specific teacher and to not stress too much about potential point deductions.
sachin_naik04
1) in my exams there were 3 simple questions on integration carrying 5 marks each, i solved them correctly but the only mistake i did was at the end of each step i didnt write "+c"

like for example the final step of an integration problem is suppose say:
x2+9x2+c

so how much marks i will loose out of 5 for not writing that +c

2) and for another question i wrote √50 instead of writing 5√2 as the answer, is that ok or i will loose marks for the same, meaning can 5√2 be also written as √50

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you not understand that each teacher has to decide that for him or herself? No one can tell how many marks another person might take off for a specific mistake.

oh thanks

but what about my second query i.e. can 5√2 be also written as √50, are both the things correct as far as an answer is concerned

sachin_naik04 said:
oh thanks

but what about my second query i.e. can 5√2 be also written as √50, are both the things correct as far as an answer is concerned

The more math a teacher knows, the less likely you are to get points off for this stuff. I could picture a middle school teacher taking points off for writing 3/2 instead of 1.5 or 1 1/2, or a high school algebra 1 teacher deducting points for your answer, but hopefully a calculus teacher will recognize that your answer is fine.

You'd have a valid complaint if any points are deducted.

Tobias Funke said:
The more math a teacher knows, the less likely you are to get points off for this stuff. I could picture a middle school teacher taking points off for writing 3/2 instead of 1.5 or 1 1/2, or a high school algebra 1 teacher deducting points for your answer, but hopefully a calculus teacher will recognize that your answer is fine.

You'd have a valid complaint if any points are deducted.

Agree. It's a calculus course, not a course in simplifying radicals.

HallsofIvy said:
Do you not understand that each teacher has to decide that for him or herself? No one can tell how many marks another person might take off for a specific mistake.

sachin_naik04 said:
oh thanks

HallsofIvy's response was directed at both questions. The same reasoning applies.

From my experience with forgetting +c is that you can hope to get 4/5. Depending on the teacher, either 1 point deducted for the first +c missing and then ignoring all others as "carry on" errors, or taking 1/2 off for each question. You can argue for more points if the teacher chooses this second approach. Something along the lines of "Of course, if I put +c in anyone of them, I would've remembered to do that for all of them".

Great. Will this site become a place to get ammunition to argue for partial credit with your instructor?
[URL]http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/aba/lowres/aban76l.jpg[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
X^2 + 9x^2 = 10x^2

Long answer:*
I think the simplification is more a matter of taste.
Personally, I would say that √50 is at least just as good as 5√2 and would not deduct points for that, just like for writing ln(1/2). However, this is a thin line: when a student wrote down √49 or ln(1/e) I would definitely not give them full credit.

In integration problems, also the context of the problem plays a part. Does the question ask for the or a primitive function? Is the integration the end goal of the exercise, or part of a larger question? Are there integration boundaries (like in: calculate the area under the graph)?

*) Short answer: What Halls said

I'd say that it depends on the problem.. If it was a more theoretical problem, the + C part has enough significance to lose some marks.. If it was more computational, I wouldn't deduct too many marks -- you did to most of the work. But anyway, I once lost enough marks for forgetting a '=' sign in a '<=' sign.. And I think that forgetting + C is worse.

If the limits aren't there, you should add the plus C...

not lost a single mark

wow i have not lost a single mark for not writing that +c i got exactly 70 marks as i wanted, can't believe

just reveled from the stress

Related to In integration how much marks i will loose for not writing +c

1. What does the "+c" represent in integration?

The "+c" represents the constant of integration, which is added to the antiderivative of a function in indefinite integration. It accounts for all possible solutions to the integration problem.

2. How important is it to include the "+c" in integration?

It is important to include the "+c" in integration as it accounts for the constant term in the original function. Without it, the solution would not be complete and could result in incorrect calculations.

3. What happens if I forget to include the "+c" in integration?

If you forget to include the "+c" in integration, your solution will be incomplete and may result in a loss of marks. It is important to always remember to include the constant of integration in your answer.

4. How many marks will I lose for not writing "+c" in integration?

The number of marks you will lose for not writing "+c" in integration can vary. It depends on the specific instructions and grading criteria of your exam or assignment. However, it is always best to include the "+c" to avoid any potential loss of marks.

5. Can I still get the correct answer in integration without including "+c"?

Yes, you may still get the correct numerical answer in integration without including "+c". However, your solution will be incomplete and may result in a loss of marks. It is important to always include the "+c" to ensure a complete and accurate solution.