Physical Chemistry vs. Chemical Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between chemical physics and physical chemistry, with a focus on the scale of problems being studied. The difference is ultimately a matter of perspective, with chemical physics viewed as physics from a chemist's viewpoint and physical chemistry viewed as chemistry from a physicist's viewpoint. The methods and results may be similar, but the interpretations are often different.
NewWorldSamurai
I've yet to clearly understand the difference between these two disciplines, and I was wondering if anyone else had any insights. I first thought they were one and the same, but they are certainly used as different terms in most universities. I've come to understand it as a difference of scales. When one is performing analyses on only a few molecules or atoms, such as electronic or molecular structure calculations and density functional theory calculations, I view that as chemical physics (particularly if quantum mechanics is used). On a more macroscopic scale where one is looking at bulk thermodynamic properties I view that as physical chemistry. Reaction kinetics and statistical thermodynamics are kind of in the middle of these two. That's just my guess though. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
A chemical physicist is a physicist first and a bad chemist second; a physical chemist is a chemist first and a lousy physicist second. The scale of problems/sizes of systems being studied/analyzed has very little to do with the distinction --- p-chem is physics from a chemist's viewpoint, and chemphys is chemistry from a physicist's viewpoint. The problems can be identical, the methods can be identical, and the results can be identical, but the interpretations seldom present even a superficial resemblance.

excellent point. i agree totally.

1. What is the main difference between physical chemistry and chemical physics?

The main difference between physical chemistry and chemical physics is their focus of study. Physical chemistry focuses on the macroscopic properties and behavior of matter, while chemical physics focuses on the application of physics to understand chemical systems and processes at the atomic and molecular level.

2. Can you give an example of a topic that falls under physical chemistry and chemical physics?

An example of a topic that falls under physical chemistry would be thermodynamics and kinetics, which deals with the study of energy and the rates of chemical reactions. An example of a topic that falls under chemical physics would be spectroscopy, which uses principles of physics to study the interaction of light with matter in order to understand the structure and properties of molecules.

3. Are the research methods and techniques used in physical chemistry and chemical physics similar?

Yes, the research methods and techniques used in physical chemistry and chemical physics are often similar. Both fields use experimental and theoretical methods to study and understand chemical systems. However, chemical physics may also incorporate techniques from other areas of physics such as quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.

4. What are some potential career paths for someone with a degree in physical chemistry or chemical physics?

Some potential career paths for someone with a degree in physical chemistry or chemical physics include working in research and development in industries such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and energy, or pursuing a career in academia as a professor or researcher.

5. Can someone with a background in physical chemistry or chemical physics work in other fields?

Yes, someone with a background in physical chemistry or chemical physics may also work in fields such as engineering, environmental science, and data analytics. The analytical and problem-solving skills gained from studying these fields can be applied to a wide range of industries and professions.