Understanding Limits: Solving for x^2-2|x|/x

• Thread starter ladyrae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit in question is undefined and cannot be simplified to x-2. This is because the limit exists only if the left and right limits are equal, but in this case, they are not. Therefore, the limit does not exist and this can also be seen graphically by the discontinuity at x=0. Additionally, if we substitute -x for x in the original function, we get a different result, showing that the limit is not independent of direction.
ladyrae
I’m having trouble understanding this limit

Lim x->0 (x^2-2|x|)/x

I think its undefined but lost marks for that answer on my class assignment.

Also, Why can’t I simplify to x-2?

Physics news on Phys.org
The limit exists if and only if the left limit and right limit exist, and are equal to each other.

[tex]\lim _{x \rightarrow {0}^{+}} \frac{x^2 - 2|x|}{x}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim _{x \rightarrow {0}^{+}} \frac{x^2 - 2x}{x}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim _{x \rightarrow {0}^{+}} x - 2[/tex]

[tex]= -2[/tex]

[tex]\lim _{x \rightarrow {0}^{-}} \frac{x^2 - 2|x|}{x}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim _{x \rightarrow {0}^{-}} \frac{x^2 + 2x}{x}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim _{x \rightarrow {0}^{-}} x + 2[/tex]

[tex]= 2[/tex]

Therefore, the limit does not exist.

Last edited:
You can also see it graphically by plotting the function. There is a large discontinuity (gap) at x=0.

ladyrae said:
I’m having trouble understanding this limit

Lim x->0 (x^2-2|x|)/x

I think its undefined but lost marks for that answer on my class assignment.

Also, Why can’t I simplify to x-2?
Say x = -x. Then
[tex]\frac{(-x)^2 - 2|-x|}{-x} = \frac{x^2 - 2x}{-x} = 2 - x[/tex]​
As you can see, you can't JUST simplify to x - 2. If x > 0, then you can simplify to x - 2.

What happens when x approaches 0 from the positive direction? What happens when x approaches 0 from the negative direction? You should see (if you haven't already) that the limit is undefined.

because |x|/x is not equal to 1. It is equal to 1 if x >0 and -1 if x < 0. You can simplify that to x - 2|x|/x. That would help in finding the limit. In order to find the limit you will have to break that up into a piecewise function and than look at the limit as it approaches 0 from the left and the right. And ill give you a hint, there is no limit as x --> 0.

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit is a fundamental concept in calculus that represents the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain point. It is denoted by the symbol "lim" followed by the variable and the point of approach.

2. How do I find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can plug in values that approach the given point from both sides and see if the function approaches a specific value. If the function approaches the same value from both sides, that value is the limit. You can also use algebraic techniques, such as factoring or simplifying, to evaluate the limit.

3. What is the limit of x^2-2|x|/x as x approaches 0?

The limit of x^2-2|x|/x as x approaches 0 is undefined. This is because as x approaches 0 from the positive side, the function approaches 2, but as x approaches 0 from the negative side, the function approaches -2. Since the function does not approach the same value from both sides, the limit does not exist.

4. Can I use L'Hopital's rule to evaluate this limit?

Yes, you can use L'Hopital's rule to evaluate this limit. L'Hopital's rule states that if the limit of a function can be written in the form of 0/0 or infinity/infinity, then the limit can be evaluated by taking the derivative of the numerator and the denominator separately and evaluating the new limit.

5. Are there any other methods to evaluate this limit?

Yes, there are other methods to evaluate this limit. You can also use substitution, where you plug in a value close to the point of approach and see if the function approaches a specific value. Additionally, you can use the squeeze theorem, where you find two other functions whose limits approach the same value as the given function, and then use that value as the limit of the given function.