In a triangle ABC, prove that 1<cosA+cosB+cosC< or equal to 3/2

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that in a triangle ABC, the sum of the cosines of the angles is greater than 1 but less than or equal to 3/2. The speaker shares their attempt at proving the inequality and asks for a hint. The hint given is to use the formula $\cos A+\cos B+\cos C=1+4\sin\frac{A}{2}\sin\frac{B}{2}\sin\frac{C}{2}$ and the conversation ends with the speaker realizing their mistake and correcting the proof.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
In a triangle ABC, prove that $1<cosA+cosB+cosC \leq \frac{3}{2} $.

One can easily prove that $cosA+cosB+cosC \leq 3/2 $, i.e. it can be proven to be true by
1. Using only the method of completing the square with no involvement of any inequality formula like Jensen's, AM-GM, etc.
2. By sum-to-product formulas and the fact that $sin\frac{A}{2}sin\frac{B}{2}sin\frac{C}{2} \leq \frac{1}{8} $

But no matter how hard I try, I couldn't prove the sum of the angles A, B and C to be greater than 1. In fact, I find myself always end up with the 'less than' sign.

If you can offer any help by giving only hint, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

(Edit: I think I know how to prove it now: By contradiction!)

Thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hint: Prove that $\displaystyle \cos A+\cos B+\cos C=1+4\sin\frac{A}{2}\sin\frac{B}{2}\sin\frac{C}{2}$.

I'm going to prove it by contradiction to show that in any triangle ABC, $1<cosA+cosB+cosC$ is correct.

First, I let $cosA+cosB+cosC<1$.

$cosA+cosB<1-cosC$

$2cos\frac{A+B}{2}cos\frac{A-B}{2}<1-(1-2sin^2 \frac{C}{2})$

$2sin\frac{C}{2}cos\frac{A-B}{2}-2sin^2 \frac{C}{2}<0$

$(2sin\frac{C}{2})(cos\frac{A-B}{2}-sin\frac{C}{2})<0$

Since $sin\frac{C}{2}>0$ which also means $2sin\frac{C}{2}>0$, and to have $(2sin\frac{C}{2})(cos\frac{A-B}{2}-sin\frac{C}{2})<0$, the following must be true:
$(cos\frac{A-B}{2}-sin\frac{C}{2})<0$

Thus,

$(cos\frac{A-B}{2}-sin\frac{C}{2})<0$

$(cos\frac{A-B}{2}-cos\frac{A+B}{2})<0$

$sinA<0$

This is a false statement and showing our assumption ($cosA+cosB+cosC<1$) leads to contradiction, thus concluding
$cosA+cosB+cosC>1$ must be true.:)

How does this sound to you?

anemone said:
I'm going to prove it by contradiction to show that in any triangle ABC, $1<cosA+cosB+cosC$ is correct.

First, I let $cosA+cosB+cosC<1$.

You should let $\cos A+\cos B+\cos C\le 1$.

$(cos\frac{A-B}{2}-cos\frac{A+B}{2})\le 0$

$sinA\le 0$

The second line should read $\displaystyle 2\sin\frac{A}{2}\sin\frac{B}{2}\le 0$.

Last edited:
Still I can't get thing right!(Sadface)

Alexmahone said:
You should let $\cos A+\cos B+\cos C\le 1$.
OK. All right.
Alexmahone said:
The second line should read $\displaystyle 2\sin\frac{A}{2}\sin\frac{B}{2}\le 0$.
Ah!:mad:
I'm so tired of all this and I thought I saw $2sin\frac{A}{2}cos\frac{A}{2}$!(Angry)

Related to In a triangle ABC, prove that 1<cosA+cosB+cosC< or equal to 3/2

1. What does cosA+cosB+cosC=3/2 mean in a triangle?

In a triangle, the sum of the cosines of the three angles (A, B, and C) must be equal to or less than 3/2. This means that the sum of the three angles cannot be greater than 270 degrees, as cos(270) = -1. This inequality is known as the cosine rule, and it is used to determine the maximum possible value of the sum of the angles in a triangle.

2. How do you prove that the sum of the cosines in a triangle is less than or equal to 3/2?

To prove this inequality, we can use the law of cosines. This states that in a triangle with sides a, b, and c and angles A, B, and C, the following equation holds true:
c2 = a2 + b2 - 2ab cosC
Rearranging this equation, we get cosC = (a2 + b2 - c2)/2ab.
Substituting this into the original inequality, we get cosA+cosB+[(a2 + b2 - c2)/2ab]
Simplifying this, we get 12 + b2 + c2)/2ab.
Since c is always less than or equal to a and b, we can substitute c2 with a2 + b2 to get 1

3. How does the sum of the cosines in a triangle relate to the angles?

The sum of the cosines in a triangle is directly related to the angles through the law of cosines and the cosine rule. These mathematical laws state that the sum of the cosines of the three angles in a triangle is equal to or less than 3/2, and that this value is dependent on the lengths of the sides of the triangle. Therefore, the angles in a triangle can be determined by knowing the lengths of the sides and using these laws to solve for the cosines of the angles.

4. Can the sum of the cosines in a triangle ever be greater than 3/2?

No, the sum of the cosines in a triangle can never be greater than 3/2. This is because the cosine of any angle can never be greater than 1. Therefore, the maximum possible sum of the cosines of the three angles in a triangle is 1+1+1, which equals 3. This is why the inequality is written as 1

5. How is the sum of the cosines in a triangle useful in geometry?

The sum of the cosines in a triangle is useful in geometry because it is used to prove the existence of a triangle with given side lengths. It is also used in trigonometry to solve for missing angles or side lengths in a triangle. Additionally, the concept of the sum of the cosines in a triangle is used in other geometric proofs and calculations, making it an important concept to understand in mathematics.