In a binary mixture, when is one flow negligable?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a non-dimensional parameter that can determine if the flow of a specific gas can be neglected in the mass and momentum conservation equations for the background species. The speaker is having difficulty finding this parameter and wonders if it has something to do with mass fraction. They also mention using a mass weighted average in parts-per-million as a possible solution.
gittenlucky
I am looking for a non dimensional parameter that will tell me if I can neglect the flow of one of the gases and just consider the mass and momentum conservation equations for the background species. This is not a homework question.

For example: If there is a pipe dumping a contaminant into a river at a rate of a few kilograms per hour, it will not affect the overall mass or momentum of the overall flow.

I am having a lot of trouble finding this parameter. All of my fluids textbooks just say something along the lines of "it will be assumed the flow of the contaminant is negligible and will not affect the overall dynamics". I have a feeling it will have something to do with the mass fraction, but I can not find any specific statement in literature.

Thank you for your assistance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In practice I would do a mass weighted average in parts-per-million (ppm). Then you may be able to find published limits on the contaminant.

Related to In a binary mixture, when is one flow negligable?

1. What is a binary mixture?

A binary mixture is a combination of two different substances. These substances can be in either a liquid or gas form and are mixed together in a certain ratio.

2. How is a binary mixture different from a pure substance?

A pure substance is made up of only one type of molecule, while a binary mixture contains two different types of molecules. This means that the properties of a binary mixture can vary depending on the ratio of the two substances.

3. When is one flow considered negligible in a binary mixture?

In a binary mixture, one flow is considered negligible when its contribution to the overall flow is very small compared to the other flow. This can happen when one substance has a significantly lower concentration or flow rate compared to the other.

4. Why is it important to consider the negligible flow in a binary mixture?

The negligible flow in a binary mixture can affect the overall properties and behavior of the mixture. This is especially important in industrial processes where precise control of the mixture is necessary for desired outcomes.

5. How can one determine if a flow is negligible in a binary mixture?

The determination of a negligible flow in a binary mixture depends on the specific properties and behavior of the substances involved. It can be calculated using mathematical models or determined through experimental testing.