Impulse Response of a discrete system

In summary, the impulse response for the given system is k6(1/3)^n + k7(-1)^n + k5*delta(0), where k6=1/3, k7=0, and k5=0. This is found by adding a time delayed version of the homogeneous solution to the response for a single impulse at time 0 and time 1. The unit step function ensures that the second impulse response is only applied starting at time n=1.
Abide

Homework Statement

Find the Impulse response of this system

3y[n]+4y[n-1]+y[n-2] = x[n] + x[n-1]

Homework Equations

Eigenvalues = -1/3 and -1

hc[n] = k1[-1/3]n+k2[-1]n

3h[n] +4h[n-1] +h[n-2] = δ[n] + δ[n+1]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that normally we would plug in hc[n] for two values of n into our given equation giving us a system of two equations for k1 and k2

However, since the answer for this inolves δ[n] + δ[n+1] I feel like there is a different approach.

I'm not really sure where to go after finding hc[n]

Physics news on Phys.org
Abide said:

Homework Statement

Find the Impulse response of this system

Homework Equations

Eigenvalues = -1/3 and -1

hc[n] = k1[-1/3]n+k2[-1]n

3h[n] +4h[n-1] +h[n-2] = δ[n] + δ[n+1]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that normally we would plug in hc[n] for two values of n into our given equation giving us a system of two equations for k1 and k2

However, since the answer for this inolves δ[n] + δ[n+1] I feel like there is a different approach.

I'm not really sure where to go after finding hc[n]
The solution you are coming to comes from solving the homogeneous equation:

3y[n]+4y[n-1]+y[n-2] = 0

The assumption is made that y[n]=c^n is a solution and all possible c's are found by substitution (the eigenvalues). The complete homogeneous solution is then a linear combination of these c^n factors.

The impulse is a unit input for a brief instant and then no further input for all time. So after the unit input is supplied, the system must satisfy the homogeneous solution. We can regard the impulse as happening an infinitesimally short time prior to n=0. Then the impulse response can be regarded as equivalent to the homogeneous solution, with the coefficients found by finding the first few y[n] from:

3y[n]+4y[n-1]+y[n-2] = delta[0]

All this I know you know but is said to point out the assumption made here: the system must have been at rest before the impulse was applied.Now we have this:

Had it been this:

3y[n]+4y[n-1]+y[n-2] = x[n]

we could have proceeded as above with x[n] = delta[0] to find the impulse response but instead we have the single impulse causing input at time 0 and time 1.

Recall the assumption we made in finding the impulse response at the top:- the system had to be at rest. Now we apply a single impulse at time 0, x[0] = 1, all is good with zero system state. But then x[1] = 1 too but now system state is not zero. So we cannot say the impulse response will be the same as the homogeneous solution.Instead, you need to notice that this is an LTI system (linear and time invariant) which means if you apply an input (x1+x2) to the system the response is the sum of the responses of the system to x1 and x2 separately.

If we apply an impulse to:

(a) 3y[n]+4y[n-1]+y[n-2] = x[n] + x[n-1]

we are actually applying two impulses to:

(b) 3y[n]+4y[n-1]+y[n-2] = x[n]

one happening at time 0 and one happening at time 1. So we can find the impulse response to the system (b) and add a time delayed version of the same response to get the total response to system (a).You found the impulse response to (b) in your message:

ha[n] = k1[-1/3]^n+k2[-1]^n

Now we add a time delayed version for system (a):

hb[n] = ha[n] + ha[n-1]
= k1(1/3)^n + k2(-1)^n + u[n-1]*(k1(1/3)^(n-1) + k2(-1)^(n-1))
= k1(1/3)^n + k2(-1)^n + u[n-1]*(k3(1/3)^n + k4(-1)^n))
= k1(1/3)^n + k2(-1)^n + k3(1/3)^n + k4(-1)^n) + k5*delta(0)
= k6(1/3)^n + k7(-1)^n + k5*delta(0)

Generate the first three impulse response values for (a) and solve for k6, k7, k5. You'll find k6=1/3, k7=0, k5=0. I've verified this against a Z-transform solution (I am very rusty!) so I know it is correct.

A note on u[n-1]. This is a unit step function equal to 1 beginning at n=1 and above and zero below. It is used as a gate to make sure the second impulse response does not start until time n=1. In the step where u[n-1] disappears, note that n=0 generates some value in the gated part, so I add k5 to zero out that value at time n=0 only.

Related to Impulse Response of a discrete system

What is an Impulse Response of a discrete system?

The Impulse Response of a discrete system is the output of the system when an impulse signal is applied as the input. It represents the system's characteristics and can be used to analyze and understand the behavior of the system.

How is the Impulse Response of a discrete system calculated?

The Impulse Response of a discrete system is calculated by convolving the impulse signal with the system's transfer function. This can be done using mathematical operations or by implementing a numerical algorithm.

What information can be obtained from the Impulse Response of a discrete system?

The Impulse Response of a discrete system can provide information about the system's stability, frequency response, and time-domain behavior. It can also be used to design filters and control systems.

How does the length of the impulse signal affect the Impulse Response of a discrete system?

The length of the impulse signal can affect the accuracy and resolution of the Impulse Response. A longer impulse signal can provide a more detailed response, but it may also increase the computational complexity and processing time.

Can the Impulse Response of a discrete system change over time?

Yes, the Impulse Response of a discrete system can change over time if the system's parameters or inputs change. This can be observed in systems with time-varying characteristics or in systems that are affected by external factors.