Impulse problem about a medical biopsy needle.

In summary, physicians use needle biopsies to sample tissue from internal organs by shooting a hollow needle into the tissue and extracting a tissue core. A particular device uses 8.4 mg needles that take 81 ms to stop in the tissue, exerting a stopping force of 38 mN. Using the equations F=ma and J=Ft, it was determined that the needle penetrates 1.5 mm into the tissue. The answer may vary depending on units and significant figures required.
tbarker5

Homework Statement

Physicians perform needle biopsies to sample tissue from internal organs. A spring-loaded gun shoots a hollow needle into the tissue; extracting the needle brings out the tissue core. A particular device uses 8.4 needles that take 81 to stop in the tissue, which exerts a stopping force of 38 .
How far into the tissue does the needle penetrate?

Homework Equations

Just F=ma and J=Ft, the same thing really.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I calculated J by multiplying the force through the time. I got 3.1x10^-3 m/s
Then I did the following:
Δp=J
m(v2-v1)=J
v1=-J/m ; assuming v2 equals zero since the needle stops
v1=-2.604x10^-5 m/s

Then I used a kinematic to solve for the acceleration:
v2=v1+aΔt
0=v1+aΔt ; once again assuming v2 equals zero since the needle stops
a=v1/Δt
a=3.2148x10^-4 m/s^s

Using another kinematic now that i know the acceleration:
Δd=v1Δt+(1/2)a(Δt)^2
Δd=1.054x10^-6 m.

Anyways I rounded it to 1.1*10^-6 m since it wanted the answer to two significant figures. This was wrong and I really don't know where I went wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
tbarker5 said:

Homework Statement

Physicians perform needle biopsies to sample tissue from internal organs. A spring-loaded gun shoots a hollow needle into the tissue; extracting the needle brings out the tissue core. A particular device uses 8.4 needles that take 81 to stop in the tissue, which exerts a stopping force of 38 .
Please specify all units and say what the numbers refer to. 8.4 needles - one was broken? 8.4km long needles? 8.4 sq mm cross-section needles?
I got 3.1x10^-3 m/s
Wrong units for an impulse. Also, please show working.

haruspex said:
Please specify all units and say what the numbers refer to. 8.4 needles - one was broken? 8.4km long needles? 8.4 sq mm cross-section needles?
Wrong units for an impulse. Also, please show working.

sorry. 8.4 mg needles. It took 81 ms to stop and my impulse was 3.1x10^-3 kgm/s

Here's my work through with numbers:

ΔP=J
m(v2-v1)=J
v2-v1=J/m
v1=-J/m + v2
v1=-(3.1x10^-3)/(8.4x10^-3)+0
v1=-0.369m/s

v2=v1+aΔt
a=(v2-v1)/Δt
a=(0+0.369)/(81x10^-3)
a=4.56 m/s^2

Δd=v1Δt+(0.5)aΔt^2
Δd=(-0.369)(81x10^-3)+(0.5)(4.56)(81x10^-3)^2
Δd=-1.4943x10^-2 m
Δd=-1.5x10^-2 m ; rounded to 2 sig figs.

Anyways, that still isn't the right answer

I used a slightly simpler approach. I would normally show all units, but you still haven't told me the units for the '38' number, so I can't do that.
accn = -38/84
time = 81
final velocity = 0
s = vt - at2/2 = 1484
So to two sig figures I confirm your result. The question then is the order of magnitude. If the 38 is in microNewtons, I get 1.5 10-3 m.

haruspex said:
I used a slightly simpler approach. I would normally show all units, but you still haven't told me the units for the '38' number, so I can't do that.
accn = -38/84
time = 81
final velocity = 0
s = vt - at2/2 = 1484
So to two sig figures I confirm your result. The question then is the order of magnitude. If the 38 is in microNewtons, I get 1.5 10-3 m.

So sorry, yeah the units on the 38 is mN. I'll try that. I got a 1.5x10^-2 so I know that I've got the right digits, just a problem with my powers. Thanks a lot for the confirmation/help!
woah, just tried 1.5x10^-3 and it was wrong. And it was my last guess. I have no idea what was wrong

tbarker5 said:
woah, just tried 1.5x10^-3 and it was wrong. And it was my last guess. I have no idea what was wrong
No, sorry - the power of 10 error was mine.
Are you sure the answer is required to 2 sig digits only? And in what units?
You said mN (milliNewtons). Did you mean microNewtons (μN)? mN gives me 15m!
If the answer is required in mm, try 15 or 14.8.

haruspex said:
No, sorry - the power of 10 error was mine.
Are you sure the answer is required to 2 sig digits only? And in what units?
You said mN (milliNewtons). Did you mean microNewtons (μN)? mN gives me 15m!
If the answer is required in mm, try 15 or 14.8.

It's definitely milliNewtons (mN). Anyways I had three guesses, my first was an arithmetic error. And guess two and three were 1.5x10^-2 and 1.5x10^-3 respectively. It was also definitely asking for the answer to two sig figs, and when you get close to an answer but not exactly it tells you you're close and to check rounding etc. That message never came up. Also the program I'm doing these questions on is called "masteringphysics" and it doesn't care what units you use as long as they're equivalent. Ie I could use 10cm or 0.1m and it wouldn't care

Anyways, I'm just really curious as to what the answer would be, incase a question like this came up on a test or something. Thanks for the help by the way.

Related to Impulse problem about a medical biopsy needle.

1. What is an impulse problem about a medical biopsy needle?

An impulse problem about a medical biopsy needle refers to the issue of how the force applied to the needle during insertion can affect the surrounding tissue. This force, or impulse, can cause damage to the tissue and potentially lead to complications.

2. How is the impulse problem addressed in medical procedures?

The impulse problem is addressed in medical procedures by carefully controlling the force applied to the needle during insertion. This can be achieved through the use of specialized tools or techniques, such as ultrasound guidance, to ensure that the needle is inserted at the correct angle and depth with minimal force.

3. What factors can contribute to the impulse problem with a biopsy needle?

Factors that can contribute to the impulse problem with a biopsy needle include the type and size of the needle, the angle and depth of insertion, the rigidity of the tissue being biopsied, and the skill of the person performing the procedure.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with the impulse problem during a biopsy?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with the impulse problem during a biopsy. These include bleeding, bruising, and damage to surrounding tissue or organs. In some cases, the impulse problem can also lead to inaccurate or inconclusive biopsy results.

5. What measures can be taken to reduce the risk of an impulse problem during a biopsy?

To reduce the risk of an impulse problem during a biopsy, it is important to use the correct type and size of needle for the procedure, carefully plan the angle and depth of insertion, and use specialized techniques or tools to control the force applied to the needle. It is also crucial for the person performing the biopsy to have proper training and experience in order to minimize the risk of an impulse problem.