Impulse momentum theorum with a spring

In summary, the 700 g air-track glider collision with a spring at one end of the track. The figure shows the glider's velocity and the force exerted on the glider by the spring. The glider is in contact with the spring for 116.6 seconds and the peak force is 36 N.
powerofsamson

Homework Statement

A 700 g air-track glider collides with a spring at one end of the track. The figure shows the glider's velocity and the force exerted on the glider by the spring.

How long is the glider in contact with the spring?

knight_Figure_09_11a.jpg

knight_Figure_09_11b.jpg

Homework Equations

F(t_1-t_2)=mv_2-mv_1

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the force as 36N, v_1 as -3, v_2 as 3.
When I plug this into the equation I get
change in t = (700*3-700*(-3))/36=116.6

I know this has to be wrong but I'm confused which variable I have wrong. Maybe the force?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to convert 700 g to kg. Other than that, I think your solution is correct.

change in t = ((.7*3)-(.7*-3))/36 = .116 s is also wrong.

Sorry, you need to use the average force. The 36 N is the peak force.

I'm still stuck on this one. I know that i can calculate avg force by impulse / change in time, but I'm not sure how to find avg force in this situation.

In case anyone else has a similar problem I'll explain how I found the answer. I found the area of the triangle with. A = .5 * (36, force max) * change in t. A is equal to weight in kg * v_1 - (weight in kg * v_2). Therefore 4.2 = .5 (36) * change in t.

powerofsamson said:
In case anyone else has a similar problem I'll explain how I found the answer. I found the area of the triangle with. A = .5 * (36, force max) * change in t. A is equal to weight in kg * v_1 - (weight in kg * v_2). Therefore 4.2 = .5 (36) * change in t.

I know this is an old message but this poster states he solved the problem by finding.

(simply restating correct solution posted in quotes here)

A=area

A=.5(Fmax)Δt

A=mv1-mv2

I think? I don't understand what equations the poster was trying to write out.

Wouldn't the change in momentum be zero since the final and initial speeds are equal?

Or would it be double the current momentum because of the change in direction?

Related to Impulse momentum theorum with a spring

1. What is the impulse momentum theorem with a spring?

The impulse momentum theorem with a spring is a physical law that describes the relationship between the change in momentum of an object and the impulse applied to it by a spring. It states that the change in momentum of an object is equal to the impulse applied by the spring.

2. How does a spring affect momentum?

A spring affects momentum by exerting a force on an object, causing it to accelerate. The amount of force and acceleration depends on the stiffness of the spring and the distance it is compressed or stretched.

3. Can the impulse momentum theorem be applied to all types of springs?

Yes, the impulse momentum theorem can be applied to all types of springs, including compression springs, extension springs, and torsion springs. However, the calculations may differ depending on the type of spring and its properties.

4. How is the impulse momentum theorem with a spring used in real-life applications?

The impulse momentum theorem with a spring is used in various real-life applications, such as in automotive suspension systems, pogo sticks, trampolines, and shock absorbers. It helps engineers and designers understand and predict the behavior of objects connected to springs.

5. Is the impulse momentum theorem with a spring a fundamental law of physics?

Yes, the impulse momentum theorem with a spring is a fundamental law of physics that is based on the principles of conservation of momentum and Newton's laws of motion. It is a valuable tool in analyzing and solving problems involving the motion of objects connected to springs.