Impulse, momentum, and force during motion around a circle

In summary, to calculate the impulse during a circular turn with a constant velocity, given the car's mass and the time and degrees of the turn, you can use the theorem of momentum by using the formula I = m(v2-v1), where v1 and v2 are vectors representing the initial and final velocities, respectively.
iamhe
Hello,
How would you calculate the impulse during the time which a car drives in a circle. You are given the car's mass and constant velocity and the time that the car was turning and how many degrees the car turned.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
iamhe said:
Hello,
How would you calculate the impulse during the time which a car drives in a circle. You are given the car's mass and constant velocity and the time that the car was turning and how many degrees the car turned.

Thanks in advance!

Try the theorem of momentum.

In the problem that I have, since neither the mass nor velocities change during the turn, would the impulse just be 0 for the duration of the turn?

iamhe said:
In the problem that I have, since neither the mass nor velocities change during the turn, would the impulse just be 0 for the duration of the turn?

The momentum is a vector.Though the magnitude of it in your problem is a constant,it changes in its direction.

I'm still not sure what that means...

I=mv2-mv1
Here I,v1,v2 are all vectors.I is the impulse.v1 is the initial velocity.v2 is the final velocity.Surely you can not say v1-v2=0(remember v1 and v2 are vectors ).

Oh right. v1 and v2 will be pointing in orthogonal directions.
So how can I represent these vectors in the given formula?

Related to Impulse, momentum, and force during motion around a circle

1. What is the difference between impulse and momentum during motion around a circle?

Impulse is the change in momentum over a period of time, while momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity. In circular motion, impulse and momentum are related by the radius of the circle and the angular velocity.

2. How does force affect motion around a circle?

Centripetal force is necessary to keep an object in circular motion. It acts towards the center of the circle and is equal to the mass of the object times its centripetal acceleration. Without this force, the object would move in a straight line.

3. What is the role of inertia in circular motion?

Inertia is an object's resistance to change in motion. In circular motion, an object will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by a centripetal force. This is due to the object's inertia.

4. Can an object have both linear and angular momentum in circular motion?

Yes, an object can have both linear and angular momentum in circular motion. Linear momentum is the product of an object's mass and linear velocity, while angular momentum is the product of its moment of inertia and angular velocity. As the object moves in a circle, both types of momentum will be conserved.

5. How are impulse and force related in circular motion?

Impulse is directly proportional to the force acting on an object and the time over which the force is applied. In circular motion, the force acting on an object is the centripetal force, and the impulse is equal to the change in momentum of the object in the direction of the force.